Origin and demonstration of Newton's second law

In summary, the conversation discusses the two expressions of the 2th Newton's law and their origins. It is uncertain which one was defined by Newton and whether they originated from physical experiments or geometric proofs.
fab13
At high school, we saw without demonstration the fundamental principle of dynamics (2th Newton's law), i.e :

$$\sum \vec{F}=m \vec{a}\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,eq(1)$$

after, at university, we saw another expression of this 2th Newton's law :

$$\sum \vec{F}= \dfrac{d\vec{p}}{dt}\,\,\,\,\, \,\,\,eq(2)$$ with ##\vec{p} = m\vec{v}## the momentum.

From an historical point of view, which one was defined by Newton, eq(1) or (eq2) ?

The eq(2) allows to deduce the famous equation ##E=mc^{2}## by considering ##dp=d(mv)=dm\,v +m\,dv## but I think that Newton could not have access to ##dm## and so defined rather ##m=\text{constant}##, didn't he ?

Does the origin of eq(1) and eq(2) come from physical experiments performed by Newton ?

Secondly, we can proove eq(2) thanks to Euler-Lagrange equation, taking ##p_{i}## the i-th momentum :

$$\dfrac{d}{dt}\bigg(\dfrac{ \partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_{i}}\bigg)=\dfrac{d\,p _{i}}{dt}=\sum F$$

Are there other ways to get the eq(2) ?

Finally, one told me that Newton has used geometric demonstration : Anyone could give me a link on these geometric prooves ?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• mimetex.gif
    mimetex.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 591
  • mimetex.gif
    mimetex.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 586
  • mimetex.gif
    mimetex.gif
    304 bytes · Views: 544
  • mimetex.gif
    mimetex.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fab13 said:
From an historical point of view, which one was defined by Newton, eq(1) or (eq2) ?

The second.

fab13 said:
Does the origin of eq(1) and eq(2) come from physical experiments performed by Newton ?

We will never know. He didn't explain how he derived this equation.

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. It can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How was Newton's second law of motion discovered?

Newton's second law of motion was first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his famous book "Principia Mathematica" in 1687. He derived the law from his laws of motion and the concept of force.

3. What is the significance of Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion is significant because it explains the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the force acting upon it. It is a fundamental law of physics and is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or designing vehicles and machines.

4. Can Newton's second law of motion be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's second law of motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and circular motion. This law is a universal principle that applies to all objects and their movements, regardless of their size or shape.

5. How is Newton's second law of motion demonstrated in experiments?

Newton's second law of motion can be demonstrated through various experiments, such as measuring the acceleration of a falling object, using a spring scale to measure the force needed to move an object, or using a pulley system to change the mass and acceleration of an object. These experiments show the direct relationship between force, mass, and acceleration as described by the law.