Origin of Vector Cross Product

In summary, The vector cross product is a mathematical concept that is often used in physics and engineering, particularly in the field of electrodynamics. It is defined as the product of two different components of two vectors, resulting in a magnitude in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the original vector components. Its origin can be traced back to the quaternion product, but it was also studied earlier as a useful geometric construct. It is useful in many applications, including torque calculations, and is noncommutative.
SpartanG345
I understand the cross product of vectors to some degree and i can calculate. But i don't really understand the origin of the cross product

What does a vector cross product mean in physical terms. Vector addition is quite easy to understand. I don't think the cross product is 'multiplication of vectors' as multiplication can be broken down into a series of additions at least for scalars.

Is the cross product simply a definition such that the product of 2 different components of a 2 vectors result in a multiplication of the magnitude in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the original vector components?

I don't really understand this in physical terms. All the books i have read have explained it in the above way.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The vector cross product, as well as the dot product and other vector manipulations, are all mathematical concepts. What do have in mind for "physical terms".

The origin of the vector cross product is the quaternion product. There was a minor skirmish in the field of mathematics at the end of the 19th century between the "quaternionists" (Hamilton et al) and the "vectorialists" (Gibbs, Heaviside, et al). Hamilton's quaternions were elegant, but maybe a bit too complex for everyday use -- and they did not quite fit into our three dimensional universe. Vectors are not quite as mathematically elegant, but they are simpler, and at least on the surface, they fit our 3D universe to a T.

Is the cross product simply a definition such that the product of 2 different components of a 2 vectors result in a multiplication of the magnitude in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the original vector components?

Sometimes, yes, that is precisely the way it's defined. In others, we just define it using the vector notation. There are many more ways to define it. In 3 dimensions, I'm pretty sure most of them are equal, at least for most vectors.

D H said:
The origin of the vector cross product is the quaternion product.
That's not entirely true. It was studied as a useful geometric construct much earlier. You have to remember that geometry is very old, and quaternions are a relatively recent concept.

In the end, what's important is not where it came from but the fact that it stuck around, mainly because it's so useful.

How is it the cross product so much useful in "electrodynamics" was discovered before it.
Is it a mere coincidence that laws of electrodynamics can so easily be expressed using the cross product

Nothing is coincidence...

Torque also uses cross product.

[tex]\vec{T}=\vec{F} \times \vec{r}[/tex]

Torque is:

[tex]\vec{T}=\vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/tex]

Cross product is noncommutative.

Ah...

Thanks, I've always read it as T=Fr for perpendicular forces and radii, and never knew that it was different.

If I remember anything from my multivariable calc, it can be expressed as [tex]\vec{T}=-\vec{F} \times \vec{r}[/tex] if you would like. I've usually seen it in r cross F though.

Related to Origin of Vector Cross Product

What is the origin of vector cross product?

The origin of vector cross product can be traced back to the 19th century when mathematicians such as William Rowan Hamilton and Josiah Willard Gibbs first introduced the concept as a way to multiply two vectors in three-dimensional space.

How is vector cross product defined?

Vector cross product is defined as a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol " x " and is also known as the vector product or outer product.

What are some real-world applications of vector cross product?

Vector cross product has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples include calculating torque in mechanics, calculating magnetic fields in electromagnetism, and performing 3D transformations in computer graphics.

What is the geometric interpretation of vector cross product?

The geometric interpretation of vector cross product is that the resulting vector is perpendicular to both of the original vectors and its magnitude is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the original vectors. This also means that the direction of the resulting vector follows the right-hand rule.

Is vector cross product commutative?

No, vector cross product is not commutative, which means that the order of the vectors matters. In other words, a x b does not equal b x a. This is because the resulting vector is dependent on the order in which the original vectors are multiplied.