Osmotic Pressure: Why It's Not Bad Physics

• Thread starter iScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, osmotic pressure is the result of a pressure difference between two solutions of different solute concentrations separated by a semi-permeable membrane. It is incorrect to say that the osmotic pressure comes solely from the solute, as it is the difference in partial pressures exerted by the solvent molecules on each side that creates the pressure. Without a solvent, there would be no osmotic pressure. Osmosis is not a magical force, but rather a result of the movement of small molecules from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration.
iScience
osmotic pressure is the pressure difference between two solutions of different solute concentrations separated by a semi-permeable membrane.

my book says: "the osmotic presssure is exactly the same as the pressure of an ideal gas of the same concentration as the solute. in fact, it's tempting to think of the osmotic pressure as being exerted entirely by the solute, once we have balanced the pressure of the solvent on both sides. This interpretation is bad physics."

why is it incorrect to say that the osmotic pressure comes from the solute?? fundamentally, at the site of the SP membrane, the solvent can pass through and the solute cannot, and the osmotic pressure is essentially the difference in the partial pressures exerted by the solvent molecules on each side. This difference comes from the fact that not all of the molecules hitting the SP membrane are the solvent molecules, some of them are the solute molecules which cannot pass through. So I don't see how it's bad physics to say that the solute is what's exerting the osmotic pressure (the pressure difference)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This cries for a next phrase with an explanation, is it really the whole related quote?

i think it would be easier to illustrate the context with a picture.

http://i.imgur.com/BIr3TgK.jpg

(the paragraph that starts with "figure 5.78")

based on your response, I'm guessing that i do have the right idea of osmotic pressure and i am not misguided about where it comes from?

There won't be the osmotic pressure without a solvent, so it is not solute only that matters.

Last edited:
Osmotic pressure is only pressure resulting from partial pressures. People tend to treat osmosis as something a bit 'magic but there's no extra force from anywhere. The 'small molecules' of the solvent will spread out into the whole of a container but the larger molecules will stay 'inside' the membrane. Once equilibrium is reached, you will have the pressure of just the solvent on one side but the pressures of the solvent plus the solute on the other side of the membrane. Hence the membrane experiences a net pressure towards the dilute side. There will be solvent on both sides - it will find its way into the solute, eventually, by diffusion.

1. What is osmotic pressure?

Osmotic pressure is the pressure exerted by a semi-permeable membrane on the solution containing a higher concentration of solutes. It is the force required to prevent the flow of water through the membrane.

2. Is osmotic pressure a bad physics concept?

No, osmotic pressure is a well-established concept in physics and is commonly used in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It is an important factor in understanding processes like diffusion and osmosis.

3. How is osmotic pressure related to the movement of water?

Osmotic pressure is directly related to the movement of water. It is the driving force that causes water molecules to move from a region of low solute concentration to a region of high solute concentration, in an attempt to balance the concentration on both sides of the membrane.

4. Can osmotic pressure be harmful?

In some situations, high osmotic pressure can be harmful. For example, in plant cells, excessive osmotic pressure due to high concentration of solutes can cause the cell to burst. However, in most cases, osmotic pressure is a necessary and beneficial process for maintaining the balance of solutes in living organisms.

5. How is osmotic pressure measured?

Osmotic pressure is typically measured in units of pressure, such as atmospheres or pascals. It can be measured experimentally using a variety of techniques, including the osmometer or the membrane osmometer. These methods involve measuring the pressure required to counteract the movement of water through the membrane.