Overcoming Test Anxiety: Failing Tests Despite Understanding the Material

In summary, the speaker is struggling with taking tests in their honors pre-calc class due to feeling nervous and rushing through the test, resulting in small but significant mistakes that lead to low grades. They have tried to take their time on each question, but the limited time in class does not allow for thorough review. The expert suggests setting up practice tests with time constraints to increase confidence and decrease nervousness.
um0123
Failing tests...

So far in my honors pre-calc class we have taken 3 tests. My grades on these tests have been 57%, 73%, and 63%.

i understand all the material in class and have no problem on the homework, but when i take the tests i get so nervous i rush through the test and i make stupid mistakes (like not simplifying all the way, or not factoring completely) this leads to a bunch of small mistakes. Small mistakes individually, but when added up they make me fail. I try to take my time on each question but the time that i have in class doesn't allow for you to look over it with great detail. How do i stop myself from doing stupid mistakes?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Instead of taking your time on each question, if you move through it a bit faster and give yourself time at the end to look over each answer again, you might be more likely to catch any errors you made

You've taken an important step by identifying what's causing you a problem ("getting nervous while taking timed tests"). So, how should you correct this? Try setting up some practice tests with typical problems and a strict time limit. Start with easier problems at first. You'll probably find that you have more time than you first thought. This should increase your confidence and decrease your nervousness.

Good Luck!

Petek

1. How can I tell if I have test anxiety?

There are several common symptoms of test anxiety, including physical symptoms like sweating, racing heart, and nausea, as well as psychological symptoms like negative self-talk, difficulty concentrating, and fear of failure.

2. What causes test anxiety?

There is no one specific cause of test anxiety, as it can be influenced by a variety of factors such as past negative experiences with testing, high pressure or expectations from others, or underlying mental health issues.

3. Can I still do well on tests if I have test anxiety?

Yes, it is possible to still do well on tests despite experiencing test anxiety. There are various strategies and techniques that can be used to manage and overcome test anxiety, such as deep breathing, positive self-talk, and practicing relaxation techniques.

4. How can I prepare for a test if I have test anxiety?

One way to prepare for a test when experiencing test anxiety is to create a study plan and break down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks. It can also be helpful to practice relaxation techniques before and during the test, as well as seeking support from a teacher or counselor.

5. Are there any long-term solutions for test anxiety?

Yes, there are long-term solutions for test anxiety. These can include seeking therapy or counseling to address any underlying issues, practicing stress management techniques, and developing a positive mindset towards testing. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or teacher to improve test-taking skills and confidence.