Overhead power lines wires and strings deviation

In summary, the tension in the wire is about 40MPa and the angle between the suspension insulator string and the straight line is about 2 degrees. The transverse load from the wire tension is about 700N.
Stefan Vasilev
Hello to all of you.

I have the following case to solve.

I have three overhead power line towers. The first and the third are with tension insulator strings, and the second is with suspension insulator string.
During the design process i noticed that the second tower is located incorrectly and the suspension insulator string is not in the straight line between the two tension insulator strings (located at tower one and three).

I have created a drawing in order to illustrate the problem.
pYeROJX.png

My question is how can I calculate the exact angle at which the suspension insulator string will deviate? No wind or other forces are applied to the constructor.

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to specify the wire tension, T. The line angle (not the swing angle) you can get from geometry and trig, based on the 2.7 meter offset in the approximate 200 m spans, and assuming initially the insulator is restrained from swing. It's less than a 2 degree line angle. Say 2 degrees for talking purposes.

Now to calculate the swing angle, you have the sum of the weight spans acting vertically down on the insulators, that's about 15 kN, but transversely, you have the load from the wire tensions on either side of the insulators, and using vector resultant approach, the transverse load is 2T sin ( line angle/2). Assuming T is 20 kN (is it?) , I get a transverse load of about 700 N. Thus, swing angle is inv tan 700/15000 or about less than 3 degrees. That will kick out the bottom of the 4.2 m insulator length about 0.2 m. Roughly. Of course, if wire tension is higher, swing is greater... plus wind...

Hello PhanthomJay,
thank you for your reply.

You are pretty close for the tension - it's about 40MPa, which for this conductors makes about 17,6kN.
What I was not sure was how to calculate the transverse load from the conductors tension.
At first I got confused that I have to use the angle between the straight line and the insulator string suspension point (as shown on the second part of the picture below), but then i got confused about not using the tension in the formula.

I just would like you to confirm that I got this right - the transverse load is calculated by F=2*T*sin(α/2), where
F - transverse load in kN
T - tension in kN
α - angle as shown on the picture bellow

TXiob9x.png

Many thanks again in advance.

Stefan Vasilev said:
Hello PhanthomJay,
thank you for your reply.

You are pretty close for the tension - it's about 40MPa, which for this conductors makes about 17,6kN.
What I was not sure was how to calculate the transverse load from the conductors tension.
At first I got confused that I have to use the angle between the straight line and the insulator string suspension point (as shown on the second part of the picture below), but then i got confused about not using the tension in the formula.

I just would like you to confirm that I got this right - the transverse load is calculated by F=2*T*sin(α/2), where
F - transverse load in kN
T - tension in kN
α - angle as shown on the picture bellow

TXiob9x.png

Many thanks again in advance.
that angle alpha is shown on one side of the tower in question...the total line angle at that middle tower must include the angle from the other side also, more or less total angle is twice that. That's the angle to use in your F=2Tsin(theta/2) equation, where theta is the sum of the two 'alphas' from each side if you know what I mean. But your swing angle is shown as 29 degrees which is way off...you've got a lot of weight acting down (sum of weight spans x 44N/m is about 14 kN), and the transverse load F is about in the order of only 700 N or so, so swing angle is more like inv tan 700/14,000 or about 3 degrees in rough numbers.

What I was saying was that when I tried to solve this problem, I tried to find the transverse load from the sine of this 29 deg angle, which was obviously a mistake. The angle between the suspension insulator string and the straight line has nothing to do with the calculations for transverse load.

Now I get it (correct me if I am wrong) - the angle theta in this formula <<F=2Tsin(theta/2)>> is the sum of my alpha (on the side where I had it placed) + the other sides angle. In this case they are almost the same as the first span is pretty much as long as the second one.

Stefan Vasilev said:
What I was saying was that when I tried to solve this problem, I tried to find the transverse load from the sine of this 29 deg angle, which was obviously a mistake. The angle between the suspension insulator string and the straight line has nothing to do with the calculations for transverse load.

Now I get it (correct me if I am wrong) - the angle theta in this formula <<F=2Tsin(theta/2)>> is the sum of my alpha (on the side where I had it placed) + the other sides angle. In this case they are almost the same as the first span is pretty much as long as the second one.
yes, that's right. But you should convince yourself why this formula f = 2T sin (theta/2) is correct, using a vector analysis for the resultant of the tension forces.

1. What causes power lines to deviate or sag?

Power lines can deviate or sag due to a variety of factors, such as high winds, extreme temperatures, and heavy loads. Over time, the weight of the wires can also cause them to gradually sag.

2. How much deviation is considered safe for power lines?

The amount of deviation that is considered safe for power lines depends on the specific regulations and standards set by the governing body in charge of the power grid. In general, power lines should not deviate more than a few feet from their intended height.

3. What are the potential dangers of power lines deviating or sagging?

Power lines that deviate or sag too much can pose a safety hazard, as they may come into contact with trees, buildings, or other objects. This can lead to power outages, fires, and even electrocution in extreme cases.

4. How often are power lines inspected for deviation?

The frequency of power line inspections varies depending on the location and regulations, but they are typically inspected at least once a year. In areas with harsh weather conditions, more frequent inspections may be necessary.

5. What measures are taken to prevent or correct deviation in power lines?

To prevent or correct deviation in power lines, various methods are used. These include installing tensioning devices to keep the wires taut, using taller and stronger poles, and regularly trimming vegetation around the power lines. In extreme cases, power lines may need to be replaced or repositioned.