How Is MnSO4 Oxidized to MnO4- in an Acidic Medium?

In summary, in order to oxidize MnSO4 to MnO4- in an acidic medium, one can use NO3- as an oxidizing agent. The reaction results in the formation of MnO4- and another product.
Vavi Ask

Homework Statement

In the laboratory how is MnSO4 oxidised to MnO4- in an acidic medium?
a. NO3-
b. O2
c. Cr2O72-
d. S2O82-
(NB: If I've posted this question in a wrong thread please tell me exactly the right place to post it rather than just deleting it and saying to post it in the right place.)

2. The attempt at a solution
MnSO4 + NO3-[O] MnO4-

Physics news on Phys.org
Vavi Ask said:

Homework Statement

In the laboratory how is MnSO4 oxidised to MnO4- in an acidic medium?
a. NO3-
b. O2
c. Cr2O72-
d. S2O82-
(NB: If I've posted this question in a wrong thread please tell me exactly the right place to post it rather than just deleting it and saying to post it in the right place.)

2. The attempt at a solution
MnSO4 + NO3-[O] MnO4-
What other product do you get from your proposal?

1. What is oxidation in acidic medium?

Oxidation in acidic medium refers to a chemical reaction in which a substance loses electrons and increases its oxidation state in the presence of an acidic solution.

2. What is the role of acid in oxidation reactions?

Acids play a crucial role in oxidation reactions by providing protons (H+) that can accept electrons from the substance being oxidized, allowing it to lose electrons and undergo oxidation.

3. How does oxidation in acidic medium differ from oxidation in basic medium?

In acidic medium, protons are readily available to accept electrons, resulting in a faster and more efficient oxidation reaction compared to basic medium, where protons are scarce.

4. What are some common examples of oxidation in acidic medium?

Some common examples of oxidation in acidic medium include the rusting of iron in the presence of oxygen and acid rain, which is caused by the oxidation of pollutants in the atmosphere.

5. How can oxidation in acidic medium be prevented?

To prevent oxidation in acidic medium, substances can be protected by applying a layer of a non-reactive material, such as oil or plastic, to prevent contact with the acidic solution. Additionally, adding a reducing agent can help slow down or prevent the oxidation process.