Oxidation reaction-which is oxidized?

• Thread starter alphaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    oxidation
In summary, in the given reaction, Ag2S is neutral and O2 is neutral as reactants. The products are Ag2O, which is neutral with Ag having a 1+ charge and O having a -2 charge, and S, which is neutral. Both reactants and products have the same net charge. However, S went from 2- to 0 charge, indicating oxidation (gaining two electrons), while O went from 0 to 2-, indicating reduction. Ag remained the same at 1+ charge. Therefore, the overall reaction is a redox reaction, with both oxidation and reduction occurring.
alphaj

Homework Statement

2Ag2S(s) + O2(g) = Ag2O(s) + S(s)

Which is being oxidized?

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Reactants:
Ag2S is neutral, with Ag having +1 charge and S having 2- charge.
O2 is neutral

Products:
Ag2O is neutral, with Ag having a 1+ charge and O having -2 charge.
S is neutral.So: Reactants and products have the same net charge?

But, S when from 2- to 0 charge. Therefore, it was oxidized (gained two electrons).
Oxygen went form 0 to 2-. So, it was reduced.
Ag stayed the same. 1+ to 1+.

But, I read that Ag is actually being oxidized.
I'm not really sure what's happening.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your analysis.
Oxidation and reduction are two sides of the same coin, which is why these reactions are often called redox reactions.

When Ag + 2S -> Ag2S the silver is oxidised from Ag to Ag+ and the sulphur reduced from S to S2-
The silver was already oxidised and did not change. The S2- was oxidised back to S

Likes alphaj
alphaj said:
But, S when from 2- to 0 charge. Therefore, it was oxidized (gained two electrons).
Oxygen went form 0 to 2-. So, it was reduced.
Ag stayed the same. 1+ to 1+.

Bullseye.

Likes alphaj and Merlin3189
So much more concise than me!

Thank you for your help; both of you! I'm relieved that I am thinking about this the right way!

1. What is an oxidation reaction?

An oxidation reaction is a chemical reaction in which an atom or molecule loses electrons and increases in oxidation state. This process is also known as oxidation and can result in the formation of new products.

2. What is oxidation state?

Oxidation state refers to the number of electrons that an atom has gained or lost in a chemical reaction. It is used to determine the degree of oxidation or reduction that has occurred in a molecule.

3. How does an oxidation reaction occur?

An oxidation reaction occurs when a molecule or atom comes into contact with an oxidizing agent, which is a substance that can accept electrons. The oxidizing agent removes electrons from the molecule or atom, resulting in oxidation.

4. Which substances are commonly oxidized in oxidation reactions?

Substances that are commonly oxidized in oxidation reactions include metals, organic compounds, and certain types of ions. For example, iron can be oxidized to form rust, while glucose can be oxidized to produce carbon dioxide and water.

5. What are some examples of oxidation reactions?

Some common examples of oxidation reactions include combustion, rusting, and metabolism. Combustion involves the reaction of a fuel with oxygen to produce heat and light, while rusting is the gradual oxidation of iron in the presence of oxygen and water. Metabolism is a series of oxidation reactions that occur in living organisms to produce energy.