Page width setting is not being retained

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, there is a page width control in the new forum layout, but it does not remember the setting and has to be reset frequently. This feature was not available in the previous version, but it is used on other forums. The user is asking if it is possible to have a personal preference for the width setting. Greg explains that it is not currently possible and it would require some work to implement, but the fixed width serves the purpose of reducing eye movement while reading.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
:biggrin:Hi Greg

I noticed a week or so back ( under this new forum layout) that there is a page (screen) width control down on the lower left side " change width"

The frustrating part is that it is not remembering the setting and is really annoying having to reset it often
In these days where wider screen monitors are the norm, being to make use of the full screen is wonderful (instead of a little strip down
the middle of an otherwise blank screen. It was something you didn't have available in the previous version although the feature was there
( It's used on at least one other forum I am on).
The advantage on that other forum or two was that the width could be set in personal preferences and once set would stay that way
till the user changed it.

Are you able to do that here as well please ? :biggrin:
thanks lots
Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
davenn said:
Are you able to do that here as well please ? :biggrin:
At the moment it's not possible. It must be custom with the style or other dev. Would take some work. I'll look into it, but the purpose of the fixed width is to reduce eye movement in reading which can lead to eye strain.

Likes davenn

1. Why is the page width setting not being retained?

The page width setting may not be retained due to a number of reasons. It could be a technical issue with the website or browser, a problem with the code or settings, or a user error.

2. How can I fix the issue of the page width setting not being retained?

The first step to fixing this issue is to clear your browser's cache and cookies. If that doesn't work, try using a different browser or device. If the problem persists, it could be a coding issue that needs to be addressed by the website's developer.

3. Is there a specific browser that is more likely to have this issue?

No, this issue can occur on any browser. However, it may be more common on older browsers or those with outdated versions.

4. Can I change the page width setting manually?

Yes, you can manually change the page width setting by adjusting the zoom level on your browser. You can also try using the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl +" to zoom in or "Ctrl -" to zoom out.

5. Will changing the page width setting affect the website's layout?

Yes, changing the page width setting may affect the website's layout as it can alter the way the content is displayed. It is best to keep the page width setting at the default or recommended setting for optimal viewing experience.