Paid subscription and banners appeared

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
In summary, Rhody's subscription was due for renewal on Dec 2nd, but he paid through Google Paypal. Now at the top of every post he sees this, dreaded banner. He fixed it BTW, sorry. Greg, who is a science advisor for the site, recently changed the time limit for edits from 24 to 12 hours, and Rhody is wondering if science advisors are supposed to see the banners. He also asked if the time limit had recently been lowered, and if so, why. Greg replied that ads and banners have always been present as an SA, but the previous ads were in the same color scheme as the forums. The new ads are in bright red or black which is probably presenting a much stronger contrast
rhody
Gold Member
My subscription was due for renewal on Dec 2nd. I paid through Google Paypal, and now at the top of every post I see this, dreaded banners !

http://tinypic.com/m/dqj28z/3

Is this a mistake or is Greg having fun with me for posting a too-wide desktop the other day ?
I fixed it BTW, sorry...

Rhody... new banner boy...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're no longer gold either, so I'm sure this is a mistake. Greg will no doubt be along soon to rectify!

Weird too, I just logged on downstairs and I no longer have an avatar, but the banners have disappeared.

Rhody...

Just send Greg a message if he doesn't stop by this thread soon enough.

Are science advisors supposed to see those banners? They don't really bother me, but I recently started noticing them, and since then I've been wondering if they were there before, and that has made me wonder if I'm getting senile.

Since I'm already typing a post in the feedback forum, I might as well take this opportunity to ask: Was the time limit for edits recently lowered from 24 to 12 hours? Or is it even less than that now? I liked the 24 hour limit, because it allowed me to correct the stupid things I said the day before.

Fredrik said:
Are science advisors supposed to see those banners?

I'm just a regular contributor, and I see no ads or banners or anything else of a commercial nature. It must be just a glitch in your personal account, which should be easy to clear up.

To all who have replied,

I checked my bank account and the Paypal transaction did not go through. I sent Greg a pm about it, best I can do till he gets back to me. No funny stuff in bank account either, a good sign.

Rhody... banner boy...

Fredrik said:
Are science advisors supposed to see those banners? They don't really bother me, but I recently started noticing them, and since then I've been wondering if they were there before, and that has made me wonder if I'm getting senile.

Since I'm already typing a post in the feedback forum, I might as well take this opportunity to ask: Was the time limit for edits recently lowered from 24 to 12 hours? Or is it even less than that now? I liked the 24 hour limit, because it allowed me to correct the stupid things I said the day before.

As far as I recall I've always had ads an banners as an SA. However, the previous ads were generally in the same color scheme as the forums. These latest ones are in bright red or black which is probably presenting a much stronger contrast than previously registered.

Born2bwire said:
As far as I recall I've always had ads an banners as an SA. However, the previous ads were generally in the same color scheme as the forums. These latest ones are in bright red or black which is probably presenting a much stronger contrast than previously registered.
Ah, that's probably it. They used to be text, and now they are colorful sometimes moving pictures.

Apparently we still have some text ads. :smile: When I came here a few minutes ago, the banner on the main page said:

Einstein was Wrong Evidence proves Relativity false, revealing cause of gravity & light.

:biggrin:

Fredrik said:
Einstein was Wrong Evidence proves Relativity false, revealing cause of gravity & light.

If you see such ad, click it to check url, then copy url of the page, and send it to Greg (or any Mentor) with explanation - it is possible to block such ads from appearing here.

Problem solved, the first transaction did not go through, posted it through "Sometime" PayPal, hehe and the second time worked, go figure.

Moral of this story, check you debit purchases and don't assume the online transaction thing is perfect because it isn't. lol

Rhody...

Second time is the charm...

1. What are paid subscriptions and banners?

Paid subscriptions and banners are a form of online advertising where businesses or individuals pay to have their advertisement displayed on a website. These ads can be in the form of banners, pop-ups, or other types of display ads.

2. Why do websites use paid subscriptions and banners?

Websites use paid subscriptions and banners as a way to generate revenue. By displaying these ads, websites can earn money from businesses or individuals who want to promote their products or services to a larger audience.

3. How do paid subscriptions and banners appear on a website?

Paid subscriptions and banners are typically displayed using a code provided by the advertiser. This code is inserted into the website's HTML or JavaScript, and the ad is then displayed to visitors who access the website.

4. Are paid subscriptions and banners effective in generating revenue?

It depends on the website and the target audience. For some websites, paid subscriptions and banners can be a significant source of revenue. However, for others, these ads may not be as effective, and the website may need to explore other revenue-generating options.

5. Can users block paid subscriptions and banners?

Yes, users can block paid subscriptions and banners using ad-blocking software or browser extensions. However, this may affect the website's revenue and may lead to the website implementing more intrusive ads to generate income.