Parallel and perpendicular components

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Gram Schmidt orthogonalization method to find the components of a vector v parallel and perpendicular to a subspace spanned by two vectors u and w. The initial method used did not produce the expected results, but a slight deviation from the method led to success. The conversation also mentions alternative approaches, such as using an orthogonal basis for [u,w] or finding the cross product of u and w. Ultimately, the use of the Gram Schmidt method with an orthogonal basis led to the desired results.
Portuga
TL;DR Summary
Consider the following vectors of ##\mathbb{V}^{3}##: ##u=\left(2,2,2\right)##
and ##v=\left(3,3,1\right)##. If ##w=\left(-5,1,-1\right)##, decompose
the vector ##v## into a component in ##W=\left[u,w\right]## and a component
in ##W^{\perp}##.
I first tried to use a method based on Gram Schmidt orthogonalization
method:
$$
v_{\parallel}=\left(v\ldotp\frac{u}{\left\Vert u\right\Vert }\right)\frac{u}{\left\Vert u\right\Vert }+\left(v\ldotp\frac{w}{\left\Vert w\right\Vert }\right)\frac{w}{\left\Vert w\right\Vert },
$$
and
$$
v_{\perp}=v-v_{\parallel}.
$$
Results were
$$
v_{\parallel}=\left(\frac{128}{27},\frac{50}{27},\frac{76}{27}\right)
$$
and
$$
v_{\perp}=\left(-\frac{47}{27},\frac{31}{27},-\frac{49}{27}\right).
$$
At first sight, things looked ok, because ##v_{\parallel}+v_{\perp}=v##,
but when I performed the scalar product between ##v_{\perp}## and ##u##
and ##w##, both resulted non null:
$$
v_{\perp}\ldotp u=-\frac{130}{27}
$$
and
$$
v_{\perp}\ldotp w=\frac{35}{3}.
$$
This was totally unespected to me because ##v_{\perp}## was designed
to be perpendicular to the subspace spanned by ##u## and ##w##, and
as so, these scalar products should result 0.

Then I tried a slight deviation from the previous method:
$$
v_{\parallel}=\left[v\ldotp\frac{\left(u+w\right)}{\left\Vert u+w\right\Vert }\right]\frac{\left(u+w\right)}{\left\Vert u+w\right\Vert }=\left(-\frac{3}{19},\frac{3}{19},\frac{1}{19}\right)
$$
and
$$
v_{\perp}=v-v_{\parallel}=\left(\frac{60}{19},\frac{54}{19},\frac{18}{19}\right).
$$
Again,
$$
v_{\perp}\ldotp u=\frac{264}{19}
$$
and
$$
v_{\perp}\ldotp w=-\frac{264}{19}.
$$
But, there was an advance:
$$
v_{\perp}\ldotp\left(u+w\right)=0.
$$
So, what am I doing wrong on all this? Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gram Schmidt goes step by step constructing an orthogonal set of vectors, but it assumes you did the right thing on the previous vectors on each step. Here, u and w are not orthogonal, so you can't orthogonalize the third vector immediately. You could run the algorithm from scratch on the set of u,w,v and do two iterations.

Likes Portuga
I should subtract first component, normalize and then subtract the other one, and normalize it?

Portuga said:
I should subtract first component, normalize and then subtract the other one, and normalize it?

This is a little too vague for me to know if you're proposing the right thing.

@Portuga, can I add a few thoughts to what @Office_Shredder has said…

Thinking geometrically, ##v_{\parallel}## is simply the projection of ##v## onto the plane (P) spanned by ##u## and ##w##. Not too hard to visualise.

Your equation
##v_{\parallel}=\left(v\ldotp\frac{u}{\left\Vert u\right\Vert }\right)\frac{u}{\left\Vert u\right\Vert }+\left(v\ldotp\frac{w}{\left\Vert w\right\Vert }\right)\frac{w}{\left\Vert w\right\Vert }##
would give you ##v_{\parallel}## if ##u## and ##w## were orthogonal - but they aren’t!

You can find an orthogonal basis for ##[u,w]## using the Gram Schmidt method. And then you can use the above equation but with the orthogonal basis vectors.

An alternative approach would be to start by finding the cross product ##u \times w##. This is a vector perpendicular to P so it allows you to find ##v_{\perp}##.

Likes SammyS
ok, thank you all very much!

Portuga said:
ok, thank you all very much!
You're welcome.
What did you get for results, and what method did you use?

After giving help, we're often curious as to the outcome.

I followed the trick of Gram Schmidt ortogonalization method to build an ortogonal basis ##\left\{ u^{\prime},w^{\prime}\right\}## for ##W## and the strategy of decomposing ##v## as ##v_{\parallel}=v\ldotp u^{\prime}u^{\prime}+v\ldotp w^{\prime}w^{\prime}## and ##v_{\perp}=v-v_{\parallel}##. It worked like a charm! Thank you all very much.

Likes SammyS

What are parallel and perpendicular components?

Parallel and perpendicular components refer to the two components of a vector that are parallel and perpendicular to a given reference axis, respectively. This concept is commonly used in mathematics and physics.

How do you find parallel and perpendicular components?

To find the parallel and perpendicular components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The parallel component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the reference axis. The perpendicular component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle between the vector and the reference axis.

What is the relationship between parallel and perpendicular components?

The parallel and perpendicular components of a vector are always perpendicular to each other. This means that if you add the square of the parallel component and the square of the perpendicular component, you will get the square of the magnitude of the vector.

Why are parallel and perpendicular components important?

Parallel and perpendicular components are important because they allow us to break down a complex vector into simpler components that are easier to analyze and understand. They are also crucial in many mathematical and physical calculations.

Can parallel and perpendicular components exist in three-dimensional space?

Yes, parallel and perpendicular components can exist in three-dimensional space. In fact, in three-dimensional space, there can be infinitely many reference axes, and a vector can have parallel and perpendicular components with respect to each of these axes.