Parametric equations and augmented coefficient matrices

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a difficult assignment that mostly consists of theoretical proof questions. The student has completed the first question and part of the second question, but is struggling with the rest and is looking for assistance. The responder explains the forum's policies on helping with graded assignments and suggests the student send a private message to discuss their professor's policy. The responder also offers advice on how to best post questions with multiple parts on the forum.
boriskov
hi,

I'm currently really struggling with an assignment that I've been tasked with.

https://ss1002.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/assignment.pdf

View attachment 3965

View attachment 3966

It's mostly theoretical proof questions, which I find difficult. Actual questions I'm fine with.

I have done the first question without issue, as well as question 2a), but 2b) onwards I'm quite lost.

Q3 seems a mystery.

Any help with this would be great, I'd love to understand this.

Thanks

Attachments

• linearalgebra2.jpg
    linearalgebra2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 57
  • linearalgebra3.jpg
    linearalgebra3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 53
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, boriskov! :D

Upon reading the pdf file you have attached, it appears that these problems are part of a graded assignment. Our policy here is:

"not knowingly to help with questions in such assignments. If you present a question in such a way as to suggest that it falls in this category, a moderator will close the thread and explain why. The original poster can always PM the moderator to discuss the situation, but if the moderator is unconvinced, the thread will stay closed."

If your professor allows for you to seek outside help, then please send me a private message to explain his/her policy.

Also, when posting problems with multiple parts, it is best to post each problem in a separate thread. This way a thread does not potentially become convoluted and difficult to follow.

The title of a thread should be a brief and accurate description of what your question is about. The thread title should be at least one level more specific than the forum in which you post. Thus, I have retitled this thread.

I have also attached images of the relevant portions of the attached file, so that our helpers do not have to follow a link to a file.

These policies are in place to help make MHB organized and easier for our helpers to provide help.

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express a set of variables in terms of one or more independent variables, known as parameters. These equations are commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe the motion of objects or systems.

2. How are parametric equations different from standard equations?

Parametric equations differ from standard equations in that they use parameters, or independent variables, to represent the variables in the equation. This allows for a more flexible and dynamic representation of the equation, making it useful for describing changing or complex systems.

3. What is an augmented coefficient matrix?

An augmented coefficient matrix is a matrix that combines the coefficients and constants of a system of equations into a single matrix. This matrix is used in the process of solving a system of equations using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or Cramer's rule.

4. How are parametric equations used in real-world applications?

Parametric equations have many real-world applications, such as in physics to describe the motion of objects, in engineering to model systems and predict behavior, and in computer graphics to create animations and simulations. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model and analyze complex systems.

5. Can parametric equations be graphed?

Yes, parametric equations can be graphed by plotting the values of the variables in the equation for different values of the parameter. This creates a parametric curve, which can be represented in two or three dimensions. Graphing parametric equations can help visualize and analyze the behavior of the system described by the equations.