Parametrization Of Complex Curves .... Mathews And Howell, Example 1.22 .... ....

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a remark made in "Complex Analysis for Mathematics and Engineering" by Mathews and Howell, after Example 1.22. The remark states that \gamma(t) = z(1-t) and the conversation discusses the reasoning behind this equation. It is explained that \gamma(t) represents the same curve as z(t), but in the opposite direction, and that this can be understood both algebraically and conceptually.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Complex Analysis for Mathematics and Engineering" by John H. Mathews and Russel W. Howell (M&H) [Fifth Edition] ... ...

I am focused on Section 1.6 The Topology of Complex Numbers ...

I need help in fully understanding a remark by M&H ... made just after Example 1.22 ...

Example 1.22 (including some post-Example remarks ...) reads as follows:View attachment 7342
View attachment 7343In the above text from Mathews and Howell we read the following in remarks made after the presentation of the example:

" ... ... Note that \(\displaystyle \gamma (t) = z ( 1-t )\), ... ... "Can someone please explain how/why \(\displaystyle \gamma (t) = z ( 1-t )\) ... ... ?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
You could just start from $z(t) = z_0 + (z_1 - z_0)t$, replacing $t$ by $1 - t$ and work out the algebra to get the expression $z_1 + (z_0 - z_1)t$. Alternatively, you can view this conceptually. The map $t \mapsto 1 - t$ from $[0,1]$ to $[0,1]$ maps $0$ to $1$ and $1$ to $0$, so $z(1-t)$ traces $C$ in the opposite direction that $z(t)$ does.

Hi Peter,

In this example, we are looking at a complex function z(t) = a + bti, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. The function is defined on the interval 0 ≤ t ≤ 1, which means that t can take on values between 0 and 1.

Now, the function \gamma (t) = z (1-t) is a parametric representation of the same curve as z(t), but in the opposite direction. This means that for each value of t, \gamma (t) will give us a point on the curve in the opposite direction from z(t).

To understand why this is the case, let's look at an example. Let's say we have a point z(0.5) = 2+3i. This means that at t=0.5, our function z(t) will give us the point (2,3) on the complex plane. Now, if we plug in t=0.5 into \gamma(t) = z(1-t), we get \gamma(0.5) = z(1-0.5) = z(0.5) = 2+3i. So, \gamma(0.5) gives us the same point as z(0.5), but in the opposite direction.

In general, we can see that for any value of t, \gamma(t) will give us a point on the curve that is the same distance from the origin as z(t), but in the opposite direction. This is why we can say that \gamma(t) = z(1-t).

I hope this helps clarify the remark made by M&H. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is parametrization of complex curves?

Parametrization of complex curves refers to the process of representing a complex curve in terms of a set of parameters, usually real numbers. This allows for a more efficient and accurate way of studying and analyzing the curve.

2. Why is parametrization important in mathematics?

Parametrization plays a crucial role in mathematics as it allows for the study of complex curves using techniques from calculus and geometry. It also helps in solving problems involving curves in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What is the formula for parametrization of complex curves?

The formula for parametrization of complex curves is given by z(t) = x(t) + iy(t), where x(t) and y(t) are real-valued functions of the parameter t.

4. How does the parametrization of complex curves simplify calculations?

Parametrization simplifies calculations by reducing a complex curve to a set of real numbers, making it easier to perform calculations using tools such as differentiation and integration. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the curve's behavior.

5. Can parametrization be used for any type of curve?

Yes, parametrization can be used for any type of curve, including both simple and complex curves. It is a versatile tool that allows for the study of curves in multiple dimensions and with various shapes and behaviors.