Parentese, Universally Conserved Adult to Baby Human Speech

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, the NY Times article discusses the widespread observation of sing-songy talk to babies in various cultures and its potential impact on language development and music. The Paywalled Nature Human Behavior article also explores the universality of adults being able to recognize baby talk in different languages. The bioRxiv preprint delves into the role of music in speech patterns and the potential purpose of baby talk in reassuring newborns. The conversation also touches on the limitations of considering British English as the only standard for language and the potential manipulation involved in baby talk.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
NY Times article here.
Paywalled Nature Human Behavior article here.
bioRxiv preprint here.

Sing-songy talk to babies has been observed in
1,615 voice recordings from 410 parents on six continents, in 18 languages from diverse communities: rural and urban, isolated and cosmopolitan, internet savvy and off the grid, from hunter gatherers in Tanzania to urban dwellers in Beijing.
Adults of any culture seem to be able to identify baby talk in any other language.

Many think that baby talk leads to more adult language development.
Some have suggested it also leads to music, which is also present in all cultures.

I have always been interested in the music that underlies speech patterns.
I used to be able to imitate people talking with my electric guitar.
There are definitely musical patterns in speech.

Likes Drakkith
Science news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
There are definitely musical patterns in speech.
You must not consider British English as the only possibility to talk. We get along without artificial tunes here.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
Adults of any culture seem to be able to identify baby talk in any other language.
A newborn has only a piece of rudimentary information on its hard disc. Maybe the baby talk is simply meant to say: "I won't eat you!" Personally, I'm no fan of it. I learned that they manipulate you from the first moments on, I don't see a reason not to take them seriously.

1. What is Parentese?

Parentese, also known as infant-directed speech or baby talk, is a style of speech that adults use when communicating with infants and young children. It is characterized by a high-pitched, exaggerated tone, simplified vocabulary, and repetitive phrases.

2. Why do adults use Parentese when speaking to babies?

Adults use Parentese as a way to engage and communicate with babies. The exaggerated tone and simplified vocabulary make it easier for infants to process and understand language. It also helps to capture and maintain their attention, aiding in their language development.

3. Is Parentese a universal form of speech?

Yes, Parentese is a universally conserved form of speech found in all cultures and languages. It is a natural and instinctive way for adults to communicate with infants, and it has been observed in various cultures around the world.

4. Does Parentese have any benefits for babies?

Yes, Parentese has been shown to have several benefits for babies. It can help with language development, as it exposes infants to a wide range of vocabulary and sentence structures. It also aids in social and emotional development, as it helps to create a bond between the adult and the baby.

5. Is there a specific age range for when Parentese is most effective?

Parentese is most effective during the first year of a baby's life, but it can still be beneficial for infants and young children up to the age of 2 or 3. As babies grow and develop their language skills, adults may naturally adjust their speech patterns to match the child's level of understanding.