Partial Derivatives of the cosine rule.

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of Partial Derivatives and finding partial derivatives using the Cosine Rule. The Cosine Rule is a formula that relates the sides and angles of a triangle. To find the partial derivatives, the chain rule must be applied to the square root expression in the formula. It is important not to ignore the square root and to leave its contents intact when differentiating. The derivative of the Cosine Rule is also mentioned.
Kris1
Partial Derivatives

Hi all I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. I have a triangle that has a = 13.5m, b = 24.6m c, and theta = 105.6 degrees.

Can someone remind me of what the cosine rule is?

Also (my question is here)

From the cosine rule i need to find:
  • the partial derivative of c with respect to a?
  • the partial derivative of c with respect to b?
  • the partial derivative of c with respect to theta?

How would i go about finding these partial derivatives for these? Do I need to know what the cosine rule is and what the value of c is?

How to find the partial derivatives?

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kris said:
Hi all I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. I have a triangle that has a = 13.5m, b = 24.6m c, and theta = 105.6 degrees.

Also (my question is here)
From the cosine rule i need to find

• the partial derivative of c with respect to a?
    the partial derivative of c with respect to b?
    the partial derivative of c with respect to theta?

How would i go about finding these partial derivatives for these? Do I need to know what the cosine rule is and what the value of c is?

Any help will be appreciated

Welcome to MHB, Kris! :)

The cosine rule is
$$c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos \theta$$
where $\theta$ is the angle between sides a and b.

In other words,
$$c=\sqrt{a^2+b^2-2ab\cos \theta}$$
You're supposed to take the partial derivatives of this expression.
To evaluate them, you don't need the value of c.

Ok so you are saying I only need the values of a,b and theta if i wish to calculate the value of c right?

Otherwise I am to calculate the partial derivatives from the formula right?

Yep.

Ok, thanks for the cosine rule.

c=sqrt(a^2+b^2−2abcos(θ))

Ok, here are my partial derivatives:

c/a = sqrt(2a+ b^2 - 2bcos(θ))

c/b = sqrt(a^2+ 2b- 2acos(θ))

c/θ = sqrt(a^2+ b^2 - 2ab)

are these correct? or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to apply the chain rule in all 3 cases.
Do you know what the chain rule is?

Furthermore, do you know what the derivative of $\cos \theta$ is?

is the derivative of costheta -sintheta?

what do you mean i will need to apply the chain rule? is that because we are dealing with a square root? is the derivatives i provided the inside of the chain rule? I am confused as to what you are trying to say. with the chain rule comment?

Kris said:
is the derivative of costheta -sintheta?

Correct!
what do you mean i will need to apply the chain rule? is that because we are dealing with a square root? is the derivatives i provided the inside of the chain rule? I am confused as to what you are trying to say. with the chain rule comment?

Yes, it is because of the square root.
Do you know the derivative of a square root?

You can't just ignore the square root and differentiate what's inside.
Instead you need to take the derivative of the square root and leave its contents intact.
And then multiply everything with the derivative of the contents.

so it will look something like 1/2 ( function)^-1/2 multiplied by partial derivative required then?

Kris said:
so it will look something like 1/2 ( function)^-1/2 multiplied by partial derivative required then?

Yes!

Re: Partial Derivatives

Kris said:

How to find the partial derivatives?
Any help will be appreciated :)

May I ask why you have changed your original post? This makes a topic harder to follow if information that is used in subsequent posts is later removed.

I always write the cosine rule as \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos{(C)} \end{align*}\), since it is convention to label the sides with lowercase letters and the angle opposite each side with the same capital letter.

Just for fun, here's a proof of the Cosine Rule (although they use \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \theta\)).

cosinerule_zps33b193fb.jpg

Re: Partial Derivatives

MarkFL said:
May I ask why you have changed your original post? This makes a topic harder to follow if information that is used in subsequent posts is later removed.

For the sake of clarity, I have restored your posts (#1 and #5) to more closely reflect their original content.

The editing of posts should be used primarily for correcting typos. Removing relevant information is not recommended as this can make a topic hard to read/follow.

Related to Partial Derivatives of the cosine rule.

1. What is the cosine rule?

The cosine rule, also known as the law of cosines, is a mathematical formula used to find the sides or angles of a triangle when given other sides and angles. It states that the square of a side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of the two sides and the cosine of the included angle.

2. How do you take partial derivatives of the cosine rule?

To take partial derivatives of the cosine rule, you first need to express the formula in terms of the variables you want to differentiate with respect to. Then, you can use the rules of differentiation to find the partial derivatives of each variable. It is important to remember to treat all other variables as constants when taking partial derivatives.

3. Why are partial derivatives of the cosine rule important?

Partial derivatives of the cosine rule are important because they allow us to find the rate of change of a particular variable in a triangle. This can be useful in many applications, such as engineering and physics, where understanding the relationship between different variables is crucial.

4. What is the difference between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives?

Partial derivatives are derivatives that are taken with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. Ordinary derivatives, on the other hand, are taken with respect to one variable without considering any other variables. In other words, partial derivatives take into account the effect of other variables on the variable being differentiated.

5. Can the cosine rule be used for non-right angled triangles?

Yes, the cosine rule can be used for non-right angled triangles. It is a general formula that can be applied to any triangle, regardless of whether it is right angled or not. However, for non-right angled triangles, the formula may be slightly more complex and involve the use of trigonometric functions.