Partial differentiation of integral

In summary: Thanks for the help.In summary, the differential expression for a function such as ##f## is found by bringing the differentiation inside the integral and Differentiating only ##u^*##.
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If I have a function

##f(u,u^*) = \int u^* \hat{O} u d^3\mathbf{r}##

both ##u## and ##u^*## are functions of ##\mathbf{r}## where ##\mathbf{r}## position vector, ##\hat{O}## some operation which involves ##\mathbf{r}## (e.g. differentiation), and the star sign denotes complex conjugate. Now I want to find the differential expression for ##f##, namely ##df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial u}du + \frac{\partial f}{\partial u^*}du^*##. I think ##u## and ##u^*## are independent, right? When I have to calculate the partial derivative of ##f## w.r.t. ##u^*##, it seems that I simply need to bring the differentiation inside the integral and differentiate only ##u^*## which gives me

##\int \hat{O} u d^3\mathbf{r}##,

is this also justified? If yes how should I calculate ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial u}##?
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are computing what is known as the functional derivative. There is a formal definition given in the wiki, but the subsequent development leads to the chain rule and the practical rule that

$$ \frac{\delta u(\mathbf{r})}{\delta u(\mathbf{r}')} = \delta^3(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}').$$

The derivative of a function by an independent function is zero, e.g., ##\delta u^*(\mathbf{r})/\delta u(\mathbf{r}')=0##.

Applying these to your functional above gives

$$ \frac{\delta f( u,u^*) }{\delta u^*(\mathbf{r})} = \int \delta^3(\mathbf{r}'-\mathbf{r}) \hat{O} u(\mathbf{r}')d^3\mathbf{r}' = \hat{O} u(\mathbf{r}).$$

However

$$ \frac{\delta f( u,u^*) }{\delta u(\mathbf{r})} = \int u^*(\mathbf{r}')\hat{O} \delta^3(\mathbf{r}'-\mathbf{r}) d^3\mathbf{r}' ,$$

where if ##\hat{O}## is a differential operator it will generally act on the delta function, so we can't automatically simplify this. In practice, the function ##u^*## will satisfy some integrability condition so that we can integrate this by parts, deriving an expression where an operator acts on ##u^*## and we can perform the integral using the delta function (without any operator acting on it).

You might want to try this out for some examples where ##\hat{O}## is a gradient or Laplacian to see how it works.

Likes blue_leaf77
Thanks that very helpful, but the expression
fzero said:
$$ \frac{\delta u(\mathbf{r})}{\delta u(\mathbf{r}')} = \delta^3(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}').$$
doesn't seem to have correctly matched dimensions on both sides, the LHS is dimensionless, while the RHS has a dimension of inverse volume.

blue_leaf77 said:
Thanks that very helpful, but the expression

doesn't seem to have correctly matched dimensions on both sides, the LHS is dimensionless, while the RHS has a dimension of inverse volume.

This is a consequence of the definition of the operation. The operator ##\delta/\delta f## carries units which are the product of the inverse units of ##f## with the units of the inverse volume. You should be able to see this by looking at the rigorous definition that uses the test function ##\phi##.

Alright, I got it.

Related to Partial differentiation of integral

1. What is partial differentiation of an integral?

Partial differentiation of an integral is a mathematical process used to find the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables while treating all other variables as constants. This is often used in multivariable calculus to solve optimization problems and to analyze the rate of change of a function.

2. Why is partial differentiation of an integral important?

Partial differentiation of an integral is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function in relation to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. This is useful in understanding the relationship between different variables and in solving optimization problems in various fields including physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How is partial differentiation of an integral performed?

Partial differentiation of an integral is performed by taking the derivative of the integral with respect to the variable of interest while treating all other variables as constants. This is similar to the process of finding the derivative of a single variable function, but with the added step of treating the other variables as constants.

4. What is the difference between partial differentiation and ordinary differentiation?

The main difference between partial differentiation and ordinary differentiation is that in partial differentiation, we are taking the derivative with respect to one variable while treating all other variables as constants. In ordinary differentiation, we are taking the derivative with respect to one variable while assuming all other variables are also changing.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial differentiation of an integral?

Partial differentiation of an integral has many real-world applications, including optimization problems in economics and engineering, analyzing the rate of change of physical systems, and determining the sensitivity of a model to different variables. It is also used in fields such as finance, physics, and chemistry to better understand relationships between different variables and how they affect a system.