Partial sum of harmonic series as an improper fraction

In summary, the conversation is about calculating a partial sum of harmonic series as an improper fraction and whether there is a program or calculator that can simplify these fractions for any partial harmonic sum, up to 1/100. The conversation also mentions different calculators and their capabilities for performing sums.
starfish99
I am interested in calculating a a partial sum of harmonic series as an improper fraction.

I added 1/2+1/3+1/4+1/5+1/6+1/7+1/8+1/9+1/10 with my calculator by finding a common denominator and got the fraction 6 999 840/3 628 800. It would take some time to do it for 1/2+1/3+...1/100.

Is there any program that can create these fractions for any partial harmonic sum?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your calculator didn't simplify. [itex] \frac{6999840}{3628800} [/itex] simplifies to [itex] \frac{4861}{2520} [/itex] .

As for doing it up to 100, does your calculator do sums? I have a casio classpad, which is similar in capabilities to a TI 89, and it does sums.

Woah, I just had it do up to 1/100, and it's loooooooong. If your calculator isn't going to simplify it, it's going to be crazy.

From what I hear a TI 83 will do it.

Last edited:
Thanks Gib Z

I find your interest in calculating the partial sum of harmonic series as an improper fraction to be intriguing. This series, also known as the harmonic sequence, is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has been studied extensively. While it may seem daunting to calculate these fractions by hand, there are indeed programs and mathematical tools that can assist in this process.

One approach is to use a computer program such as Mathematica or Matlab, which have built-in functions for calculating partial sums of harmonic series and representing them as fractions. These programs also have the ability to generate fractions for any partial harmonic sum, making it easier to explore and analyze different cases.

Another option is to use a mathematical formula, such as the one given by Leonhard Euler, which allows for the calculation of the nth partial sum of the harmonic series. This formula can be used to generate fractions for any desired partial sum.

Additionally, there are online resources and calculators available that can also assist in calculating and representing partial sums of harmonic series as fractions.

In conclusion, while it may take some time to manually calculate these fractions, there are various tools and methods available for generating them for any partial harmonic sum. I encourage you to continue your exploration of this fascinating concept and utilize these resources in your calculations.

Related to Partial sum of harmonic series as an improper fraction

1. What is the partial sum of a harmonic series as an improper fraction?

The partial sum of a harmonic series as an improper fraction is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of a series of terms that follow the pattern of the harmonic series. In other words, it is the sum of an infinite number of fractions with the form 1/n, where n is a positive integer.

2. How is the partial sum of a harmonic series calculated?

The partial sum of a harmonic series is calculated by adding up a finite number of terms from the series. The formula for the partial sum is Sn = 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n, where n is the number of terms being added. As n approaches infinity, the partial sum approaches the value of the entire harmonic series.

3. What is the significance of the partial sum of a harmonic series as an improper fraction?

The partial sum of a harmonic series as an improper fraction has significant implications in mathematics, particularly in the study of infinite series. It is used to show that even though the individual terms of the harmonic series decrease, the overall sum diverges to infinity. This concept is also important in calculus, where it is used to understand the concept of convergence and divergence.

4. Can the partial sum of a harmonic series be simplified?

No, the partial sum of a harmonic series cannot be simplified to a finite decimal or fraction. This is because as more terms are added, the sum grows infinitely larger and cannot be reduced to a specific value. However, it can be approximated by using a larger number of terms in the series.

5. How is the partial sum of a harmonic series related to the Basel problem?

The partial sum of a harmonic series is closely related to the Basel problem, which asks for the sum of all the reciprocals of the squares of positive integers. The partial sum of the harmonic series is used as a starting point in solving the Basel problem, and it is the key to proving that the sum of the reciprocals of the squares is equal to π²/6.