Particle analysis of diffraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a particle explanation for diffraction of sound waves. The Huygens-Fresnel principle is mentioned as a potential explanation, but it is noted that sound waves behave more like waves than particles. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use the wave model for understanding diffraction.
Byron Forbes
I have done a bit of googling but cannot find anything in this regard at all.

It seems to all be "thought of" (rather than explained) by the Huygens–Fresnel principle and other spin offs.

Can anyone point me to a particle explanation of diffraction for sound waves? Or does anyone here have one?

If not, I'll have a crack at one myself and see what happens! :)

Science news on Phys.org
Byron Forbes said:
Can anyone point me to a particle explanation of diffraction for sound waves? Or does anyone here have one?
Diffraction is a wave phenomenon. The pressure and density of a gas are both macroscopic quantities and the behaviour of the 'particles' in a gas is based on the statistics of large numbers and not on individual particle behaviour.

Even Phonons are quantised forms of vibrational energy in solid lattices and are quasi particles but, afaik, interference effects in a solid have to be dealt with in terms of waves.

Diffraction of EM waves or beams of quantum particles (electrons etc.) has to be treated with the wave model. So I am not sure what you actually want to do here.

There would be a problem with assigning a phase to a particle (needed for diffraction calculations) would present difficulties.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is diffraction and why is it important in particle analysis?

Diffraction is the bending and spreading of waves around obstacles or through small openings. In particle analysis, it is important because it allows us to study the structure and properties of particles by analyzing the diffraction patterns produced by their interaction with a beam of radiation.

2. How does diffraction help us determine the size of particles?

Diffraction patterns are produced when particles interact with a beam of radiation. By measuring the spacing between the diffraction peaks, we can calculate the size of the particles. Smaller particles will produce diffraction patterns with wider spacing between peaks, while larger particles will have closer spacing between peaks.

3. What types of particles can be analyzed using diffraction?

Diffraction can be used to analyze a wide range of particles, including crystals, nanoparticles, and biological molecules. As long as the particles have a regular and repeating structure, they will produce a diffraction pattern that can be analyzed.

4. What are some common techniques used for particle analysis using diffraction?

X-ray diffraction (XRD) and electron diffraction (ED) are two commonly used techniques for particle analysis. XRD is used for larger particles, while ED is more suitable for smaller particles. Other techniques include neutron diffraction, synchrotron radiation, and laser diffraction.

5. Can diffraction analysis provide information about the composition of particles?

Yes, diffraction analysis can provide information about the composition of particles. By analyzing the diffraction pattern, we can determine the arrangement of atoms or molecules within the particle, which can give us insight into its chemical composition. This is particularly useful in identifying unknown substances or studying the properties of materials.