Particle defined "at rest" compared to a magnetic field?

In summary, the interaction between a particle and a magnetic field can be described by the Lorentz Force, which takes into account the particle's charge, velocity, and the strength of the magnetic field. However, this force may appear differently in different inertial frames due to the transformation of the electric and magnetic fields. To fully understand this phenomenon, one must also consider the effects of special relativity. Resources such as Purcell's book and Feynman's lectures are recommended for further reading.
Jarfi
I am trying to understanding magnetism and I've been running into this thought problem

A particle a in a magnetic field B responds with Force F=|q|v x B.

frame S:
The field is B1, caused by a moving charge/s - current at speed v.

the particle is at rest, F=0.

frame S' moves with speed v/2 relative to frame S:
The field is B2=B1/2, and the current here moves at speed v/2 from our new frame of reference.

now, a moves at speed -v/2 relative to S', so the force would be F=-qv/2 x B2.

And so the particle should accelerate towards the current(or away). Frames S and S' disagree with the acceleration of particle a.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will not be able to understand how magnetism behaves in different inertial frames without also taking the electric field into account. Electric and magnetic fields mix under Lorentz boosts. The "magnetic" and "electric" forces are just the two parts of the Lorentz invariant electromagnetic force. Hence, there is nothing saying that you should have the same magnetic force in different inertial systems.

I know the Lorentz Force already, it would not change anything in this example as far as i can tell. With a current carrying conductor the electric field itself is 0 with 0 net charge, the lorentz force is F=qE+qv x B = qv x B.

No, you have failed to take into account that the electromagnetic field transforms between inertial frames (the electric and magnetic fields are just components of the rank 2 anti-symmetric field tensor). Also, it is the 4-force that has the appropriate transformation properties, i.e., transforms as a 4-vector.

Orodruin said:
No, you have failed to take into account that the electromagnetic field transforms between inertial frames (the electric and magnetic fields are just components of the rank 2 anti-symmetric field tensor). Also, it is the 4-force that has the appropriate transformation properties, i.e., transforms as a 4-vector.

Is there any specific field of physics I can read to understand this?

Jarfi said:
Is there any specific field of physics I can read to understand this?
Special relativity.

Jarfi said:
I am trying to understanding magnetism and I've been running into this thought problem

A particle a in a magnetic field B responds with Force F=|q|v x B.

frame S:
The field is B1, caused by a moving charge/s - current at speed v.

the particle is at rest, F=0.

frame S' moves with speed v/2 relative to frame S:
The field is B2=B1/2, and the current here moves at speed v/2 from our new frame of reference.

now, a moves at speed -v/2 relative to S', so the force would be F=-qv/2 x B2.

And so the particle should accelerate towards the current(or away). Frames S and S' disagree with the acceleration of particle a.
A very similar thought problem was used by Purcell in his book and can be used as an introduction to both magnetism and relativity. Here is a good reference: http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/mrr/mrr.html

Likes Jarfi

1. What is a particle at rest?

A particle at rest refers to a particle that is not in motion relative to an observer. This means that it has a constant position and is not experiencing any changes in velocity or acceleration.

2. How is a particle at rest different from a particle in motion?

A particle at rest has no kinetic energy and is not experiencing any changes in velocity or acceleration. On the other hand, a particle in motion has kinetic energy and is constantly changing its position, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can exert a force on other moving electric charges.

4. How does a magnetic field affect a particle at rest?

A particle at rest is not affected by a magnetic field. This is because it has no velocity and is not experiencing any changes in acceleration, which are necessary for a magnetic force to act on a charged particle.

5. Can a particle at rest be affected by a magnetic field?

No, a particle at rest cannot be affected by a magnetic field. It must have a non-zero velocity in order for a magnetic force to act on it.