Particles & Quantum Fields - Hagen Kleinert

In summary, a potential treasure horde has been discovered on the world wide web - a 1625 page mammoth on all aspects of quantum field theory by Prof. Hagen Kleinert. The book covers topics from Higgs to excitonic insulators and includes discussions on the Unruh effect and the perturbative approach. It also extends the subject to gravity and condensed matter physics, making it a modern trend in QFT literature. The book provides helpful appendices on quantum mechanics and includes numerous useful figures.
soviet1100
I've discovered a potential treasure horde tucked away in the deep dark folds of the world wide web. A 1625 page mammoth on all aspects of quantum field theory by Prof. Hagen Kleinert. There's a draft ed. for free available here - http://users.physik.fu-berlin.de/~kleinert/kleiner_reb6/psfiles/index.html

I was looking for stuff to read on the Unruh effect (just for fun), after unsuccessful attempts to find mention of it in the usual qft books. I then came across Kleinert's book. And I unassumingly scrolled to the table of contents. And i scrolled and i scrolled, imparting as much angular momentum as I could to the mouse wheel. I think he's put everything in, from Higgs to excitonic insulators.

I'm still learning the basics of QFT, so it'd be great if someone more conversant in the field could appraise this mammoth for me, especially the more advanced sections. I've looked at the first few chapters, and they seem well written.

My background - I'm going through Schwartz with P&S as a supplement at the moment (I actually started with P&S last year, but found it too rough and decided to stop and learn GR first). I was planning to tackle Weinberg's QFT1 and Siegel's (mammoth) Fields next summer, but in light of papa mammoth's discovery, I'm rethinking my study program. Note that I don't intend to make my career on calculating scattering cross sections. I'm more interested in the conceptual basis of QFT, applications to many body physics etc.

Likes Demystifier, smodak, Larry Gopnik and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice discovery! So this book just came out this year, that's good to know. Yes, the focus seems to be on the perturbative approach. I like the fact that it extend the subject to gravity and condensed matter physics. This seems to be the modern trend with Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell. This trend probably started around the time Weinberg published his first QFT book, since he stated "This is intended to be a book on quantum field theory for the era of effective field theories".

I am personally more interested (at the moment) in the effective field theory of gravity. So far I have used Zee, Srednicki, Kaku, a bit of Weinberg. Will in the future study from P & S, more Weinberg, and I think I will try this book.

I also like the fact that the books reviews some quantum mechanics in the appendices, as well as the multitude of useful figures in the text.

Last edited:
Likes soviet1100

What are particles and quantum fields?

Particles are the smallest units of matter that make up the universe. They can be either elementary particles, such as electrons and quarks, or composite particles, such as protons and neutrons. Quantum fields, on the other hand, are theoretical constructs that describe how particles interact with each other and with the fabric of space-time.

How are particles and quantum fields related?

Particles are considered to be excitations of quantum fields. This means that particles are the result of disturbances or vibrations in the quantum fields. The properties and behavior of particles are determined by the nature of the underlying quantum fields.

What is the significance of particles and quantum fields in physics?

Particles and quantum fields are essential concepts in modern physics, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics and particle physics. They provide a framework for understanding the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they interact with each other.

How do particles and quantum fields explain the behavior of matter and energy?

Particles and quantum fields help explain the behavior of matter and energy at the subatomic level, where classical physics fails to accurately describe the phenomena. They provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of matter and energy, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces and electromagnetism.

What are some practical applications of particles and quantum fields?

Particles and quantum fields have led to many practical applications, including the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. They also play a crucial role in fields such as nuclear energy, telecommunications, and nanotechnology.