Particles rotating about each other with uniform angular speed

In summary, the problem involves two particles of mass $m$ and $M$ undergoing uniform circular motion about each other at a constant separation $R$ under the influence of an attractive force $F$. The angular velocity is $\omega$ radians per second and the goal is to show that $R = \frac{F}{\omega^2} \left( \frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{M} \right)$. This can be solved by equating the resultant force to mass times the acceleration and using the equations $F = m\omega^2r_1$ and $F = M\omega^2r_2$ where $r_1$ and $r_2$
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Here's the problem:

Two particles of mass $m$ and $M$ undergo uniform circular motion about each other at a separation $R$ under the influence of an attractive force $F$. The angular velocity is $\omega$ radians per second. Show that

$$R = \frac{F}{\omega^2} \left( \frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{M} \right).$$

I don't understand what is meant by undergo circular motion about each other.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fantini said:
Here's the problem:

Two particles of mass $m$ and $M$ undergo uniform circular motion about each other at a separation $R$ under the influence of an attractive force $F$. The angular velocity is $\omega$ radians per second. Show that

I don't understand what is meant by undergo circular motion about each other.

Hi Fantini,

For instance 2 bodies attracted by gravity do that.
In that case they both make a circular movement around the common center of gravity.

Thank you, ILS. This confirms my initial sketch of the situation was correct. A colleague managed to solve it during a brainstorm today. Here's the solution.

For each body we can equate the resultant force to mass times the acceleration it feels, therefore we have the set of equations

$$F = \frac{m \omega^2 R}{2}, \text{ and } F = \frac{M \omega^2 R}{2}.$$

Isolating $R$ in both gives

$$R = \frac{2F}{m \omega^2} \text{ and } R = \frac{2F}{M \omega^2}.$$

Adding them results in

$$2R = \frac{2F}{\omega^2} \left( \frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{M} \right)$$

and we have

Fantini said:
Thank you, ILS. This confirms my initial sketch of the situation was correct. A colleague managed to solve it during a brainstorm today. Here's the solution.

For each body we can equate the resultant force to mass times the acceleration it feels, therefore we have the set of equations

$$F = \frac{m \omega^2 R}{2}, \text{ and } F = \frac{M \omega^2 R}{2}.$$

I believe... that is not correct.
It seems your colleague is assuming that the common point of rotation is halfway the 2 masses, but as I see it, there is nothing that suggests that.
It appears to be accidental that the right answer came out.

As I see it, mass $m$ has a distance of $r_1$ to the common point of rotation.
And mass $M$ has a distance of $r_2$ to the common point of rotation.

I believe that the proper set of equations is:
\begin{cases}
F=m\omega^2 r_1 \\
F=M\omega^2 r_2 \\
R=r_1+r_2
\end{cases}

I see. So if mass $m$ is closer to the center of rotation than mass $M$ then it should have a smaller speed because it covers less distance, while mass $M$ has greater speed because it covers greater distance.

Either way, they are always at an angle of $\pi$ with each other such that $R$ is constant, correct?

Last edited:
Fantini said:
I see. So if mass $m$ is closer to the center of rotation than mass $M$ then it should have a smaller speed because it covers less distance, while mass $M$ has greater speed because it covers greater distance.

Either way, they are always at an angle of $pi$ with each other such that $R$ is constant, correct?

Exactly.

The force $F$ is the centripetal force that dictates the relation between the $\omega$'s and the respective radiuses.
The separation $R$ can only be constant if the $\omega$'s are the same, meaning the angle is a constant $\pi$.

Related to Particles rotating about each other with uniform angular speed

1. What is uniform angular speed?

Uniform angular speed is the constant rate at which an object rotates about a fixed point, with equal angular displacements in equal intervals of time.

2. How do particles rotate about each other with uniform angular speed?

In order for particles to rotate about each other with uniform angular speed, they must be moving in circular motion at a constant rate, with no change in their angular velocity or distance from each other.

3. What is the significance of uniform angular speed in particle rotation?

Uniform angular speed is important because it allows for the prediction and calculation of the position and velocity of the particles at any given time, making it easier to analyze and understand their behavior.

4. How is uniform angular speed measured?

Uniform angular speed is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s), and can be calculated by dividing the change in the angle of rotation by the time taken to make that change.

5. What factors can affect the uniform angular speed of particles rotating about each other?

The uniform angular speed of particles can be affected by factors such as the mass and size of the particles, the distance between them, and any external forces acting on them, such as friction or gravity.