Passive Solar Stirling Hydraulic Free Piston, is this possible?

In summary: So you would need to double that number. If your maximum temperature is 100 degrees, your Carnot efficiency would be 50%. Your engine would have a Carnot efficiency of 50% at a maximum temperature of 100 degrees. In summary, your engine has a 50% Carnot efficiency at a maximum temperature of 100 degrees.
steamdreamer
OK very crude first sketch let me try to explain and you tell me if it sounds remotely workeable.
Likemany other eco nuts after the holy grail of energy, I'm trying to brainstorm a low cost solar CHP system. I'm of the opinion that passive solar is always going to win on a BTU/$ collected and that if the metric of success in an engine is $/kWhr over a lifetime that efficiency may not be as important as ease of maintenance, and upfront capital cost.

That being said I'm proposing building a low temperature differential stirling that runs on a hybrid passive solar collector. The hybridization component is the mirror wings, which under sunny conditions will increase temp and overall efficiencies, however unlike a pure concentrative machine it'll still OK on moderately cloudy days.

Since the differential pressures will be low and heat transfer is an issue I am thinking that a large air impermeable fabric accordion cylinder with a metal bottom could be coupled to a hydraulic pump to operate as a free piston hydraulic engine.

The dynamics of the engine could be controlled through hydraulic actuated valves. When the working piston is at the top of the stroke the inlet valve is opened, and the two exhaust valves are closed and the pressurized air expands the working piston downwards until either the stroke limit or lack of forward progress is reached. The the inlet valve is then closed, the two exhausts valves are opened and the LP reservoir in the hydraulic pump pushes the cylinder back until either stroke limit is reached or progress is stopped. Then the cycle begins again with the inlet valve opening and exhaust valves closing.

The stroke length would be controlled through regulating the low pressure reservoir and the high pressure reservoir pressures.

Does this cycle seems possible and more importantly remotely feasible?

Also yes I understand overall cycle efficiencies at this low of delta T with hydraulic loss will probably run around 5-7%. This may be OK if the overall cost of construction is low enough.

Attachments

• Free Piston Stirling Hybrid.jpg
    Free Piston Stirling Hybrid.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 613
Engineering news on Phys.org
Engineers work with numbers. You gave a long verbal description of your engine with no numbers at all. That means, our answers must be very general.

The efficiency of any heat engine may not exceed that of a Carnot Cycle. That cycle is characterized by the temperature differences. So start there.

Determine the maximum temperature of your working fluid, calculate the Carnot efficiency. That is a maximum. In real life it may be hard to achieve 1/2 of that.

1. What is a Passive Solar Stirling Hydraulic Free Piston?

A Passive Solar Stirling Hydraulic Free Piston is a device that converts solar energy into mechanical energy by using a Stirling engine and a hydraulic system. It is designed to operate without the use of any external power supply, making it a sustainable and green energy solution.

2. How does a Passive Solar Stirling Hydraulic Free Piston work?

The device works by using the heat from the sun to heat up the air inside the Stirling engine. As the air expands, it pushes a piston which is connected to a hydraulic system. The hydraulic system then converts the mechanical energy into usable power.

3. Is a Passive Solar Stirling Hydraulic Free Piston efficient?

Yes, a Passive Solar Stirling Hydraulic Free Piston can be very efficient. It relies on the sun's energy, which is a renewable source, and has no moving parts, making it low maintenance. It can also be designed to have a high thermal efficiency, making it a cost-effective energy solution.

4. Can a Passive Solar Stirling Hydraulic Free Piston be used for residential purposes?

Yes, a Passive Solar Stirling Hydraulic Free Piston can be used for residential purposes. It can be incorporated into a home's heating and cooling system, providing sustainable energy for daily use. It can also be used to power small appliances and devices.

5. What are the advantages of using a Passive Solar Stirling Hydraulic Free Piston?

Some of the advantages of using a Passive Solar Stirling Hydraulic Free Piston include its sustainability, low maintenance, and cost-effectiveness. It also operates quietly and has no emissions, making it an environmentally friendly energy solution. Additionally, it can be used in remote areas where access to electricity may be limited.