Peltier cooler- thermodynamics

In summary, the discussion is about using a peltier cooler for a project and determining the temperature drop of an object in contact with its cold side. The conditions given are operating the peltier at 9V and 6.4 amps, with a temperature difference of 45ºC, and keeping the hot side at 27ºC. The question is about the temperature drop in 10 seconds, but more information is needed such as the material and mass of the object and the peltier thermal power transfer rate. The purpose of the project is to create a "wristify" device that can cool the wrist by 0.4ºC, as the skin temperature is approximately 33ºC.
MadaraUchiha
Im working on a project for fun using a peltier cooler. A tec1-12706.
If i am operating the peltier at 9v, 6.4 amps of current and dt =45ºC (from datasheet) and bring its cold side in contact with a body at 33ºC for 10 seconds.
Keeping hot side at 27ºC(cold side =-18) using sink, what will be the fall in temperature of the object in contact with cold side in this 10 seconds?
Pretty sure i asked the question wrong myself because I am a bit confused too so any help would be appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
This will be difficult because it is a transient situation, but for a start, you will need:
-Material and mass of the object (and perhaps other info).
-Peltier thermal power transfer rate in watts (should be on data sheet).

Hey thanks for the reply,

Actually I am trying to create my own wristify so the material to cool the the wrist (it says that 0.4ºC drop is temperature can somewhat fool the body into thinking that its in a cold environment).

Ive read that skin temperature is about 33ºC. Assumming that each time the peltier starts, the wrist is back at 33ºC.
How much drop will peltier produce in 10 seconds of running.

Peltier thermal power transfer rate =50-57 watts.

What is a Peltier cooler?

A Peltier cooler, also known as a thermoelectric cooler, is a device that uses the Peltier effect to transfer heat from one side of the device to the other. It consists of two ceramic plates with different types of semiconductor materials sandwiched between them.

How does a Peltier cooler work?

A Peltier cooler works by passing an electrical current through the semiconductor materials, causing one side of the device to absorb heat while the other side releases heat. This creates a temperature difference between the two sides, allowing for heat transfer.

What are the advantages of using a Peltier cooler?

Peltier coolers have several advantages, including their small size, durability, and lack of moving parts, making them reliable and low maintenance. They also have the ability to both heat and cool, making them versatile for various applications.

What are the limitations of a Peltier cooler?

One limitation of Peltier coolers is their low efficiency compared to traditional cooling methods. They also have a limited cooling capacity and can only cool within a certain temperature range. Additionally, they can be sensitive to high temperatures and can be affected by ambient temperature and air flow.

What are some common applications of Peltier coolers?

Peltier coolers are commonly used in portable refrigerators, beverage coolers, and CPU coolers for computers. They are also used in scientific and medical equipment, such as DNA sequencers and thermal cyclers, as well as in aerospace and automotive industries for thermal management.