Percent Composition of Gas Mixture

In summary: However, in practice, it is more common to deal with gases that are mixed. So, when you calculate the volume of a gas, you are actually calculating the volume of a mixture.Volume is proportional to number of moles, correct?
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

It's such a gory problem, I'm going to have to attach a small image.

http://i.minus.com/j9XQTP6pIlh1a.png

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

Molarity (M) = moles/liter

The Attempt at a Solution

Okie dokie.

1) Let's find how much iodide reacted with the sulfur dioxide. There appears to be some iodide left over; hence the second reaction. So the iodide that reacted must be the total iodide added minus the iodide that reacted in the second equation.

The moles of iodide added is the volume multiplied by the molarity of the iodide, since the volume units will cancel out. Volume must be converted to liters. All in all, we get that she added 2.034 * 10^-4 moles of iodide.

What part of that is actually used? Well, the amount of excess iodide is similarly [(11.37 mL / 1000) * 0.0105 M thiosulfate]/2, since thiosulfate reacts with the remaining iodide in a 1:2 ratio.

That's 5.969*10^-5 moles of iodide excess.

Therefore the amount of iodide that reacted with SO2 is 2.034 * 10^-4 moles of iodide - 5.969*10^-5 moles of iodide = 1.43 * 10^-4 moles.

2) How many moles of SO2 were there?

Well, SO2 reacts with iodide in a 2:1 ratio. So there must have been twice the number of moles of SO2 as there were iodide that actually reacted. Or in other words, 2.87 * 10^-4 moles.

Okay.

3) V = nRT/P.

We can plug in numbers into the ideal gas law now. T = 311 K. P = 70/76 atm.

I get the volume is 0.00796 L.

This isn't an answer choice, and it's because we're looking for a percentage, not an absolute value.

Since the liters of air is 500 mL or 0.5 L, I divide the volume of SO2 by 0.5, effectively multiplying it, and I get 0.0159. Or 1.59%.

Questions:

1) I know my answer is correct. Is my reasoning sound?

2) Is there a faster way to do this? An alternate way to do this? Or is this pretty much the standard process: find what reacted, how much of what reacted - basically - going backwards?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. When they say volume percent, what they really mean is mole percent. You therefore use the ideal gas law to calculate the number of moles of gas there are, and you know how many moles of SO2 are in the sample. So, you then calculate the mole percent of SO2.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. When they say volume percent, what they really mean is mole percent. You therefore use the ideal gas law to calculate the number of moles of gas there are, and you know how many moles of SO2 are in the sample. So, you then calculate the mole percent of SO2.

This is true because volume is proportional to number of moles, correct?

Qube said:
This is true because volume is proportional to number of moles, correct?
I've always had trouble accepting the concept of assigning part of the total volume to each species in a gaseous solution of 2 or more intimately mixed species. So I never understood the rationale in calling the mole fraction of a species in a gas its volume fraction.

Chet

Technically these are identical, whether the gases are mixed, or separated. (At least as long as the gas is well approximated as an ideal gas).

1. What is the percent composition of a gas mixture?

The percent composition of a gas mixture refers to the relative amount of each gas present in the mixture, expressed as a percentage of the total volume or mass of the mixture. This information is important in understanding the properties and behavior of the gas mixture.

2. How is the percent composition of a gas mixture determined?

The percent composition of a gas mixture can be determined through various methods, such as chromatography or gas spectrometry. These techniques involve separating the different gases in the mixture and measuring their individual amounts.

3. Why is knowing the percent composition of a gas mixture important?

Knowing the percent composition of a gas mixture is important in many industries and scientific fields. It can help determine the safety and efficacy of a gas mixture, as well as provide insight into its potential uses and effects.

4. Can the percent composition of a gas mixture change?

Yes, the percent composition of a gas mixture can change depending on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions. It is important to monitor and adjust the composition as needed for desired results.

5. How does the percent composition affect the properties of a gas mixture?

The percent composition of a gas mixture directly affects its physical and chemical properties, such as density, boiling point, and reactivity. Changes in the composition can alter these properties, making the gas mixture more or less suitable for certain applications.