Percent error in conservation of momentum lab confusion

Good luck with your class.In summary, the conversation discusses the results of an elastic collision experiment with Vernier carts and magnets. The total momentum before and after the collision is calculated, with a 200% error when using the expected value of zero. However, the small differences in the final values and initial values suggest that the error may be due to measurement discrepancies. To better analyze whether momentum was conserved, students should consider their margin of error and the predicted equal magnitude of momentum change for both carts.
superdave
Okay, so I did an elastic collision with Vernier carts and magnets.

The results seem pretty good.
Cart one started with -0.1205 kg*m/s ended with +0.1027 kg*m/s
Cart two started with +0.1174 kg*m/s ended with -0.1118 kg*m/s

So Total before = -0.0031 kg m/s and total after = -0.0091 kg m/s. If I use the total before as the expected value I get 200% percent error.

While true, that seems like it is missing the point. The final value doesn't actually seem that far off from the initial value. It's close to 0 before, it's close to 0 after. But tiny differences are causing big errors.

Thoughts on how to better analyze 'Was momentum conserved?'

Physics news on Phys.org
superdave said:
Okay, so I did an elastic collision with Vernier carts and magnets.

The results seem pretty good.
Cart one started with -0.1205 kg*m/s ended with +0.1027 kg*m/s
Cart two started with +0.1174 kg*m/s ended with -0.1118 kg*m/s

So Total before = -0.0031 kg m/s and total after = -0.0091 kg m/s. If I use the total before as the expected value I get 200% percent error.

While true, that seems like it is missing the point. The final value doesn't actually seem that far off from the initial value. It's close to 0 before, it's close to 0 after. But tiny differences are causing big errors.

Thoughts on how to better analyze 'Was momentum conserved?'

If your initial total momentum had been zero, then the percentage error would be infinite.

I would say you need to look at the margin of error in all your measurements and decide whether the final result is compatible with that. The error should be as a measure of the maximum error. E.g.

If you expect ##-0.0031kg \ m/s \pm 0.01 kg \ m/s## then your error is within that ##\pm 0.01## range.

Do you have an estimate of your error bars? You will need to propagate errors and see whether momentum is conserved within your experimental error. The 200% that you calculated is not an error but a discrepancy. Regardless of that, when you calculate the % discrepancy, you are taking the ratio of two small numbers which is likely to have a large margin of error. Momentum conservation also predicts that the momentum change of the two carts should have the same magnitude. The magnitudes are 0.2232 kg⋅m/s and 0.2292 kg⋅m/s for a discrepancy of a bit less than 3%. However, as @PeroK already said and I concur, what you should consider is your margin of error not the discrepancy.

As an aside, were you extra super careful to level your track before doing your measurements? If you measured the speed of a single cart (no collisions) at two or more separate sections of the track, how close would the measured values be?

Likes gleem and PeroK
The class is a high school level course. Margin of error is beyond the scope of the class and I don't want to confuse the students too much when they already struggle with basic algebra. I might go with the % discrepancy for Δp instead, because that will reinforce the concept of conservation of momentum. I won't be doing this again for a year, but I wanted to reflect now.

Thanks

I agree, go with |Δp1| = |Δp2| which you can also use to illustrate Newton's 3rd law through Δp = F Δt.

1. What is percent error in the conservation of momentum lab?

Percent error in the conservation of momentum lab is a measure of the difference between the calculated and expected values of momentum. It is expressed as a percentage and is used to evaluate the accuracy of experimental results.

2. How is percent error calculated in the conservation of momentum lab?

Percent error is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the measured and expected values, dividing it by the expected value, and then multiplying by 100. The formula is: percent error = |(measured value - expected value)| / expected value x 100%.

3. What is an acceptable range for percent error in the conservation of momentum lab?

An acceptable range for percent error in the conservation of momentum lab may vary depending on the experiment and the specific values being measured. In general, a percent error of less than 5% is considered to be a good result, while a percent error of more than 10% may indicate a significant error in the experiment.

4. How can percent error in the conservation of momentum lab be minimized?

Percent error in the conservation of momentum lab can be minimized by ensuring accurate measurements, using precise equipment, following proper experimental procedures, and repeating the experiment multiple times to obtain an average value.

5. What are some possible sources of error in the conservation of momentum lab?

Possible sources of error in the conservation of momentum lab include human error in measurements, equipment limitations, external forces acting on the system, and inconsistencies in the experimental setup. It is important to identify and address these sources of error in order to minimize the percent error in the results.