Percent Increase what would be the percent increase in the area of the plot?

In summary, if the length and width of a rectangle garden plot were each increased by 20 percent, the area of the plot would increase by 44 percent.
mathdad
If the length and width of a rectangle garden plot were each increased by 20 percent, what would be the percent increase in the area of the plot?

My Work:

Here I am thinking geometry mixed with algebra.
The area of a rectangle is found by using A = bh.

A = (0.20)(0.20)

Correct set up?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, that would be a way to begin computing the amount of decrease of the area if both length and width were decreased by 80%.

MarkFL said:
No, that would be a way to begin computing the amount of decrease of the area if both length and width were decreased by 80%.

Can you set it up? Explain the process.

Based on what you initially posted, and my reply to it, can you hazard another attempt?

I will attempt to answer this when time allows. Time to go back to my post.

RTCNTC said:
I will attempt to answer this when time allows. Time to go back to my post.

Please wait until you have progress to post, rather than just posting to say you will post later. Such posts needlessly bump threads. ;)

100(1.20^2 - 1)

Note: 1.00 + 0.20 = 1.20

Answer is 44 percent.

RTCNTC said:
100(1.20^2 - 1)

Note: 1.00 + 0.20 = 1.20

Answer is 44 percent.

Yes, I would write:

\(\displaystyle 100\frac{\Delta A}{A}\%=100\frac{1.2b\cdot1.2h-bh}{bh}\%=100(1.2^2-1)\%=44\%\)

I like the little set up here. I now know whst to do should I come across similar questions.

RTCNTC said:
If the length and width of a rectangle garden plot were each increased by 20 percent, what would be the percent increase in the area of the plot?

My Work:

Here I am thinking geometry mixed with algebra.
The area of a rectangle is found by using A = bh.

A = (0.20)(0.20)

Correct set up?
No. If the original length and width were x and y, respecively, so that the area is A= xy. Since x is increased by 20% then then new length is 100%+ 20%= 120% of x: 1.20x. Similarly the new width is 120% of y: 120y. the new area is (1.2x)(1.2y)= 1.44xy= 1.44A. So the area has increased by 44%

Country Boy said:
No. If the original length and width were x and y, respecively, so that the area is A= xy. Since x is increased by 20% then then new length is 100%+ 20%= 120% of x: 1.20x. Similarly the new width is 120% of y: 120y. the new area is (1.2x)(1.2y)= 1.44xy= 1.44A. So the area has increased by 44%

I have already answered the question. See previous post.

What is percent increase?

Percent increase is a measure of the change in a quantity over time, expressed as a percentage of the original value. It is used to compare the magnitude of change between two values.

How do you calculate percent increase?

The formula for calculating percent increase is: (new value - original value) / original value * 100. This will give you the percent increase as a whole number. For example, if the original value was 50 and the new value is 75, the percent increase would be (75-50)/50 * 100 = 50%.

What is the difference between percent increase and percent change?

Percent increase specifically measures an increase in value, while percent change can refer to any change in value, whether it is an increase or decrease. Percent change can also be used to measure a change in percentage, while percent increase is always measuring an increase in value.

How do you interpret a percent increase?

A percent increase can be interpreted as the change in value over the original value. For example, if the percent increase is 50%, it means that the new value is 50% greater than the original value.

Why is percent increase important in science?

Percent increase is important in science because it allows us to quantitatively measure how much something has changed over time. This is useful in experiments, data analysis, and making predictions about future trends. It also allows for easy comparison between different sets of data.