Perception of other dimensions

In summary, if time is a dimension, an alien who could perceive it would see humans as a long caterpillar with a baby at the tail end and an old man at the head. Alternately, a cube's infinite number of slices would be seen as multiple polygons all overlapping in the alien's perspective.
hatfair
Uneducated writer here looking for a discussion on the perception of other dimensions, including time:

If the fabric of our universe is space/time, I understand that as humans, we can only really perceive space, that is I can see space all around me. However, I can only perceive this actual moment (the now) in time. I can remember the past, or imagine the future, but now is the only time I can perceive.

If time is a dimension, and I was an alien able to perceive that dimension, what kind of perception would it be, do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It will be whatever you want it to be in your story. As they say, paper is patient.

There are no reliable answers to questions about "what is the scientific answer to non-scientific questions" or "what does science tell us about things outside of its realm".

I believe Kurt Vonnegut might provide some inspiration. Aliens who could see time as a physical dimension saw humans as long caterpillars, with a baby at the tail end and an old man at the head.

Alternately, look to degenerate dimensions for analogies. Are you familiar with Flatland? 2 dimensional creatures who live on a plane. They cannot perceive - or even conceive of - a 3rd dimension. A cube to them is an infinitely thin slice in the shape of a square (or hexagon, depending on how the square is sliced).

Imagine what would happen if they saw a cube's infinite number of slices all flattened into their plane? They'd see multiple polygons all overlapping.

Last edited:
I remember a book from my youth, William Sleator's The Boy Who Reversed Himself, which got into some higher spatial dimensions.

Your question reminds me of Einsteins thought process where he imagines traveling with a light beam.
Did him a lot of good.
Imagine living without a time dimension, able to communicate with your ancestors and decendants.
Sounds "primative" tribe under the influence of mind altering drugs.

1. What is the concept of "perception of other dimensions"?

The perception of other dimensions refers to the idea that there may be additional spatial or temporal dimensions beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we experience in our daily lives. This concept is often explored in science fiction and theoretical physics, and is still being studied and debated by scientists.

2. Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of other dimensions?

While there is currently no concrete evidence for the existence of other dimensions, some scientific theories, such as string theory, suggest that there may be multiple dimensions beyond the ones we can perceive. However, these theories are still being researched and tested, and there is no consensus among scientists about the existence of other dimensions.

3. How can we perceive other dimensions if they exist?

It is currently not possible for humans to directly perceive other dimensions, as our brains are only equipped to process information from the three dimensions we experience. However, scientists use mathematical models and experiments to try to understand and study the potential existence of other dimensions.

4. Could other dimensions potentially exist in our physical reality?

According to some scientific theories, other dimensions may exist alongside our own physical reality. However, the existence and nature of these dimensions are still highly debated and not yet fully understood. More research and experiments are needed to determine if other dimensions could potentially exist in our physical reality.

5. Are there any practical implications of the perception of other dimensions?

While the perception of other dimensions may seem like a purely theoretical concept, it has potential practical implications in fields such as physics and technology. If other dimensions do exist, it could potentially lead to breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe and the development of new technologies. However, much more research is needed to fully explore these potential implications.