Perform mathematical calculations like addition

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of mathematical calculations and numbers, particularly the decimal system and its relation to binary, octal, and hexadecimal systems. The participants also mention the possibility of using other base systems and the concept of counting and sequencing in number systems. They also mention the connection between numbers and language theory, and the use of different number systems as bijections.
kiru
My question seems to be so idiotic.please forgive me for that.On what basis we perform mathematical calculations like addition and subtraction?As for as decimal system is concerned we have only 10 uncontinuos digits.but we are doing so much magic(I don't know whether I am using the correct word)with them.I am amazed.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe the study of mathematics has very little to do with our number system.

We (or atleast I) don't think much of numbers 1 to 10 when writing proofs, and theorems.

Explain your question

We use digits starting from 0 to 9 and then repeat the same numbers by adding prefix from the numbers that we know but in a proper manner.In practice If there where ten balls, in decimal system it is represented by 10 .Is it a mere encodification?I feel difficult when I use Hex integers where we use 0-9&A-F.Why can't we have some other means of numbering?

You can use any number (2 and up) as a base to represent any real number. Nothing terribly special about 10.

the decimal system is just our language reference( ibelieve in in history its associated with our digits on our hands/feet)...int comptuer world you deal with binary,octs,hexs. I believe some researchers are trying to work on a tertiary system.
The reason we use binar/ocs/hex is because of the powers of 2...binary being the simplest system for a computer...

now if your talking about language theory(compsci/math) ...then the digits are our alphabet like goku said...and you can have as many digits in the alphabet.
and then you string them up to make a word(in this case a number)...now from settheory(and i think predicate calc/ or turing machines...the one that studies pred/succ)...your words follow an order(counting order and they must be sequenced because the number system represents counting) so in binary {0 1 10 11 etc.} and in decimals you get { 0 1 2 ..9, 10 etc}...each time you add an extra letter to the word its because you ran outta counting room...but remember you can't add new letters to the alphabet you can use only preexisting ones. so the sensible thing is to add the next letter infront fo the previous word. By all means I'm sure you could make a new system wher eyou add 2 letters to the front...but addign one ist he simplest.

And note that all these different number systems are bijections between each other because they are 1-1 & ONTO.

Related to Perform mathematical calculations like addition

1. What is addition?

Addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more numbers to find the total or sum. It is denoted by the plus sign (+) and is one of the four basic arithmetic operations.

2. How do I perform addition?

To perform addition, you need to add the numbers from left to right, starting with the ones place. If the sum of the two numbers is greater than nine, you carry over the tens place value to the next column and continue adding. Once all the columns have been added, the final result is the total or sum of the numbers.

3. Can addition be performed with any type of numbers?

Yes, addition can be performed with any type of numbers, including whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and even negative numbers. The rules for adding these numbers may vary slightly, but the basic principles remain the same.

4. What is the commutative property of addition?

The commutative property of addition states that the order in which numbers are added does not affect the result. In other words, the sum of two or more numbers will be the same, regardless of the order in which they are added.

5. Can addition be performed on more than two numbers?

Yes, addition can be performed on any number of numbers. The process remains the same, where you add the numbers from left to right, carrying over the tens place value if necessary. You can also use the commutative property to change the order of the numbers to make the addition easier.