Periodic smooth alternating series other than sin and cos

In summary, the conversation touched on the topic of periodic alternating series functions and whether there are any other such functions besides sine and cosine, which can be written as combinations of sine and cosine functions. The conversation also delved into the terminology for functions that are almost periodic and the use of the gamma and factorials in alternating series. It was discussed that while every smooth periodic function can be represented by a finite amount of cosine and sine functions, some cases may require an infinite amount of functions. Therefore, the answer to the initial question of whether there are other periodic alternating series functions besides sine and cosine is mostly dependent on the definition of "finite."
Matt Benesi
1) Are there any periodic alternating series functions other than sine and cosine (and series derived from them, like the series for cos(a) * cos(b))?

2) What is the following series called when x is (0,1) and (1,2]? Quasiperiodic? Semi?
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \, (-1)^n \, \frac{a^{x+2n}}{\Gamma (x+2n+1)}[/tex]

3) What is the formula for the fluctuating "period" for the above series?

4) are there any (quasi/semi) periodic alternating series that do not use the gamma function for successive terms tn, with ratio a, x=0 or 1?

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \, (-1)^n \, \frac{a^{n+x}}{t_n} [/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1. You can write every smooth periodic function as combination of sine and cosine functions. That is the idea of a Fourier transformation.

I don't understand the other questions.

Likes Klystron and BvU
Bessel functions, Associated Legendre polynomials, Hermite functions, ...

Likes member 587159, WWGD and Matt Benesi
mfb said:
1. You can write every smooth periodic function as combination of sine and cosine functions.
Didn't want to do that:
"no series derived from them (sine and cosine), like the series for cos(a) * cos(b)".

thank you though.

You asked if there are functions with a specific property, I explained why there are no functions with this property.

BvU said:
Bessel functions, Associated Legendre polynomials, Hermite functions, ...
Bessel looks like the gamma function thing I posted. It doesn't look like it is periodic with x>2 (for the version I posted).

Legendre Polynomials? I looked them up and they don't look like they are periodic?

Hermite functions don't look periodic either.

mfb said:
You asked if there are functions with a specific property, I explained why there are no functions with this property.
So your answer to 1 is no.

For 2, I wanted to know what to call the ?Bessel? function I posted under 2. Quasiperiodic? Semiperiodic? Sort of periodic? Not really periodic? Almost periodic?

For 3, the period between zeroes varies. Maybe the period for maxes and minimums does not. I was asking for a specific... I have to leave. Sorry. Back later.

I believe the series in (2) is just the order-x fractional integral of cosine, which turns out just to be cos(t-xπ/2). Hence, by the angle addition formula it has a very simple expression as a sum of a sine wave and a cosine wave.

Matt Benesi said:
don't look like they are periodic?
Hermite functions don't look periodic either.
Missed the strictness of the 'periodic' constraint o:). Second @mfb #2

Matt Benesi said:
1) Are there any periodic alternating series functions other than sine and cosine (and series derived from them, like the series for cos(a) * cos(b))?
1) mfb answered that all smooth periodic functions (and thus alternating series) can be written as a combination of sine and cosine functions (alternating series):

This means each term of cosine or sine would just be something like (for cosine only series, assume +pi/2 or something for sine)):
[tex] x_1 \, cos(a_1) + x_2 \, cos(a_2) +...+x_m \, cos(a_m) =\\ \, \\ 1 - \frac {x_1 \, a_1^2 + x_2 \,a_2^2+..+ x_m \,a_m^2}{2!} + \frac {x_1 \, a_1^4 + x_2 \,a_2^4+..+ x_m \,a_m^4}{4!}-... =\\ \\ \, \\ 1 +\sum_{t=1}^{\infty}
(-1)^t \,\, \frac{\sum_{k=1}^{m} x_m \, a_m^{2t}}{(2t)!}[/tex]

ETA: So, this uses the gamma function [itex]\Gamma \, (2t+1)[/itex], so to rephrase my question, is there a way to rewrite the above that uses something other than the gamma function for successive terms?

Something like g(t) replaces gamma function, [itex] a^{f(t)} [/itex] or simply f(a,t) replaces a^2t?

[tex] \sum_{t=1}^\infty \, (-1)^{t+1} \, \frac{f(a,t)}{g(t)} [/tex]

Matt Benesi said:
2) What is the following series called when x is (0,1) and (1,2]? Quasiperiodic? Semi?
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \, (-1)^n \, \frac{a^{x+2n}}{\Gamma (x+2n+1)}[/tex]
So this looks a bit like a Bessel (except the 2n), according to suremarc the partial integral of cosine/sine, but I still do not know what to call the results of the series when x!=0 or 1 (x is not 0 or 1).

Would it be called quasiperiodic (because the periods aren't exactly the same?)? Semiperiodic? Metaperiodic? Almost periodic? What is the proper word for functions that are almost periodic, such as:

[tex]cos (\frac{|cos(t)+cos(t\,\times\, cos(t))|}{20}+t)[/tex]

Matt Benesi said:
3) What is the formula for the fluctuating "period" for the above series?
Just curious about the function in question 2, if someone knows the answer or feels like working out their brain a bit.

Matt Benesi said:
4) are there any (quasi/semi) periodic alternating series that do not use the gamma function (or factorials) for successive terms tn, with ratio a,[strike] x=0 (sine) or 1 (cosine)[/strike]?

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \, (-1)^n \, \frac{a^{n+x}}{t_n} [/tex]
This was basically answered by mfb in their response to 1.

If every smooth periodic function can be represented by a finite amount of cosine and sine functions the answer is No.

However, if some cases require an infinite amount of sine/cosine functions, would the answer to both 1 and 4 be maybe? That would make sine/cosine superfluous, right? I'm just looking for alternating series that don't use gamma/factorials between successive terms that are semi periodic (not increasing or decreasing a lot, big O of 1 is fine).

Thanks, Matt

Last edited:
So I have to correct myself—the fractional integral of cosine or sine turns out to a complicated mess involving the hypergeometric function. However the Riemann-Liouville integral is a Fourier multiplier, so the series is still periodic, I believe.

Matt Benesi said:
If every smooth periodic function can be represented by a finite amount of cosine and sine functions
Be careful. He never said that it had to be a finite number. Most interesting functions have Fourier series which have infinitely many terms (for example, square waves).

Matt Benesi said:
However, if some cases require an infinite amount of sine/cosine functions, would the answer to both 1 and 4 be maybe?
It mostly depends on how you think about it. But it’s important to know that every periodic function has a (potentially infinite) Fourier series. So asking what kinds of periodic functions there are is equivalent to asking what kinds of sequences of Fourier coefficients are there.

Last edited:
Likes Matt Benesi and Buzz Bloom
Matt Benesi said:
is there a way to rewrite the above that uses something other than the gamma function for successive terms?
You found one way already, and you can always add, multiply, ... stuff to make it look different.

Here is a smooth periodic function in ##a## where you don't see any gamma function appearing: ##\displaystyle f(a) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \, (-1)^n \, \frac{\cos(an)}{n^n}##

You can still rewrite it to have factorials in if you want, of course: ##\displaystyle f(a) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \, (-1)^n \, \frac{\cos(an)n!/n^n}{n!}##

Hi mfb:

You have a typo in the bottom equation. nn should be in the denominator.

I apologize. I missed the "/".

Regards,
Buzz

mfb said:
You found one way already, and you can always add, multiply, ... stuff to make it look different.

Here is a smooth periodic function in ##a## where you don't see any gamma function appearing: ##\displaystyle f(a) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \, (-1)^n \, \frac{\cos(an)}{n^n}##

I see a gamma in the above, unless cos is an abbreviation I am not familiar with that looks like cosine? Or is cos a special form of cosine that doesn't look like: ## \sum\limits_{t=0}^\infty \frac{a^{2t}} {\Gamma {(2t+1)} } ##

mfb said:
You can still rewrite it to have factorials in if you want, of course: ##\displaystyle f(a) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \, (-1)^n \, \frac{\cos(an)n!/n^n}{n!}##

lol...

Matt Benesi said:
lol...
But that's the type of rewriting you want to do with the cosine, too...
Replace it by a triangle function if you want.

mfb said:
But that's the type of rewriting you want to do with the cosine, too...
Replace it by a triangle function if you want.
Ok, so every periodic function can be approximated with a certain amount of cosine, or sine, or combination thereof.

That's not the same thing as what's in 4, and I was wrong to say it basically was (and there was a typo in question 4, corrected here, should have been ##a^{2n+x}## not ##a^{n+x}##, and I'd like to include a function ##f(a)## related to the magnitude of a):

Matt Benesi said:
4) are there any (quasi/semi) periodic alternating series that do not use the gamma function for successive terms tn, with ratio a, x=0 or 1?

[tex]f(a) \,\, \times \,\, \sum_{n=0}^\infty \, (-1)^n \, \frac{a^{2n+x}}{t_n} [/tex]

Trivially, any of these can be written with cosine/sine. Very awesome.

Are there series like what is written above that do not use the gamma function (so there is some function that generates ##t_n## that is not the gamma function).

I'm thinking there are an infinite amount O(a), however, I'm wondering about the special case O(1).

1. What is a periodic smooth alternating series other than sin and cos?

A periodic smooth alternating series is a mathematical function that repeats the same pattern over and over again with a smooth, alternating behavior. Examples of such functions include the tangent function, the cotangent function, and the secant function.

2. How do you find the period of a periodic smooth alternating series?

The period of a periodic smooth alternating series can be found by identifying the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the function. This distance is known as the wavelength and is equal to the period of the function.

3. What is the general formula for a periodic smooth alternating series?

The general formula for a periodic smooth alternating series is f(x) = A*sin(Bx+C) + D, where A, B, C, and D are constants that determine the amplitude, period, phase shift, and vertical shift of the function, respectively.

4. How do you graph a periodic smooth alternating series?

To graph a periodic smooth alternating series, first identify the period of the function. Then, plot several points using the general formula and connect them with a smooth curve. It is also helpful to include the x and y intercepts, as well as any asymptotes, on the graph.

5. What are some real-life applications of periodic smooth alternating series?

Periodic smooth alternating series have many real-life applications, such as modeling the motion of a pendulum, describing the behavior of alternating current in electrical circuits, and analyzing the vibrations of a guitar string. They are also used in signal processing, sound engineering, and other fields of science and engineering.