Periodic Table and oxidising agent

In summary, an element that has a molecule which contains exactly four atoms is boron. An element that reacts with water to give a solution that can behave as an oxidising agent is magnesium.
Priyadarshini

Homework Statement

upload_2016-2-6_20-20-47.png

(i) An element that has a molecule which contains exactly four atoms.
(ii) An element that reacts with water to give a solution that can behave as an oxidising agent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Shouldn't it be boron? Boron forms BF3 which has four atoms.
(ii) Mg? Because Mg forms Mg+2 ions when it forms an oxide/hydroxide with water. This will cause it to reduce itself, oxidising other compounds, making it an oxidising reagent.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to (i) sounds fine, but in (ii) it says that the solution formed after reacting with water should be an oxidizing agent. While you are correct that Mg becomes oxidized when reacting with water, the resulting solution of Mg(OH)2 is not an oxidizing reagent.

Single element. Tetra-atomic. Try again.

Bystander said:
Single element. Tetra-atomic. Try again.
Ohhhh, I see. Phosphorous, it forms P4

Ygggdrasil said:
Your answer to (i) sounds fine, but in (ii) it says that the solution formed after reacting with water should be an oxidizing agent. While you are correct that Mg becomes oxidized when reacting with water, the resulting solution of Mg(OH)2 is not an oxidizing reagent.
Is Mg(OH)2 a reducing agent then? Or neither?
How would I go about answering this question?

Priyadarshini said:
Phosphorous, it forms P4
Correct.

Priyadarshini said:
...reacts with water to give a solution that can behave as an oxidising agent.
... How would I go about answering this question?
What is an oxidising agent, in general terms? But I don't know how much that will help you, unless you already know an answer!
You might think about which elements behave as oxidising agents, then look into their reaction with water.
Otherwise I think it is just general knowledge of common chemicals which might tell you.

I myself don't know THE answer, just an answer.

Priyadarshini said:
Is Mg(OH)2 a reducing agent then? Or neither?
How would I go about answering this question?
Mg(OH)2 is neither a strong reducing agent nor oxidizing agent. Honestly, I'm not sure how you're supposed to deduce the answer without checking each element individually. I will give the hint to think of common household oxidizing agents (in particular the smell of one element is associated with this oxidizing agent).

Merlin3189 said:
What is an oxidising agent, in general terms? But I don't know how much that will help you, unless you already know an answer!
You might think about which elements behave as oxidising agents, then look into their reaction with water.
Otherwise I think it is just general knowledge of common chemicals which might tell you.

Oxidising agents oxidise other elements or compounds and reduce themselves in the process.

Merlin3189 said:

Ygggdrasil said:
Mg(OH)2 is neither a strong reducing agent nor oxidizing agent. Honestly, I'm not sure how you're supposed to deduce the answer without checking each element individually. I will give the hint to think of common household oxidizing agents (in particular the smell of one element is associated with this oxidizing agent).
In the question, are they asking for an element that can act as an oxidising agent? Or must the element after reacting with water, be able to act as an oxidising agent?
Common household oxidising agents, bleach?

Also known as what?

Priyadarshini said:
In the question, are they asking for an element that can act as an oxidising agent? Or must the element after reacting with water, be able to act as an oxidising agent?
After the element reacts with water, the resulting product must be able to act as an oxidizing agent. It doesn't matter whether the originial element was an oxidizing agent or not.
Common household oxidising agents, bleach?
Yes, you are on the correct track with that thought.

Bystander said:
Also known as what?

Ygggdrasil said:
After the element reacts with water, the resulting product must be able to act as an oxidizing agent. It doesn't matter whether the originial element was an oxidizing agent or not.
Yes, you are on the correct track with that thought.
NaClO, sodium chlorate (I)

Priyadarshini said:
NaClO, sodium chlorate (I)
Right. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite (NaClO). Sodium chlorate is NaClO3.

What element, when reacted with water might form something similar to sodium hypochlorite.

Ygggdrasil said:
Right. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite (NaClO). Sodium chlorate is NaClO3.

What element, when reacted with water might form something similar to sodium hypochlorite.
Cl2 and water would give HCl and HClO, so chlorine is the answer!
Thank you!

1. What is the Periodic Table?

The Periodic Table is a tabular arrangement of the chemical elements organized by their atomic structure and properties. It has rows and columns, with elements in the same row having similar properties and elements in the same column having similar atomic structure.

2. What is an oxidising agent?

An oxidising agent is a substance that causes another substance to lose electrons, resulting in oxidation. It is often referred to as an oxidant or oxidizer. Examples of oxidising agents include oxygen, chlorine, and hydrogen peroxide.

3. How are oxidising agents identified on the Periodic Table?

Oxidising agents are typically found on the right side of the Periodic Table, in groups 17 and 18. These elements have high electronegativity and tend to gain electrons, making them strong oxidising agents.

4. What are some common uses of oxidising agents?

Oxidising agents have a wide range of uses in various industries, including bleaching agents in the textile and paper industries, disinfectants in the medical field, and rocket propellants in the aerospace industry. They are also used in the production of various chemicals and in the extraction of metals from their ores.

5. Can oxidising agents be harmful?

Yes, oxidising agents can be extremely harmful if not handled properly. Some can cause severe burns, respiratory problems, and even explosions. It is important to follow safety precautions and handle them with caution to avoid any accidents or harm.