Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains

In summary, the lecturer discusses how to solve general second order ode y''+P(x)y=0 on a finite domain by using perturbation theory. However, convergence is not guaranteed in theory and you must be careful when working with an infinite domain.
bolbteppa
In this video (from 27.00 - 50.00, which you don't need to watch!) a guy shows how you can solve the general second order ode [itex]y'' + P(x)y = 0[/itex] using perturbation theory. However he points out that the domain must be finite in order for this to work, I'm wondering how you would phrase a question like this or how you would know when you are working with an infinite domain etc...? If I was just given [itex]y'' + x^2y = 0[/itex] & asked to solve it using perturbation theory I wouldn't know if I was getting into trouble about finite or infinite domains, how do I re-phrase the question so that it makes sense? Are there any other things that cross your mind that one should be careful about? Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you have to rewrite the equation as y''+λP(x)y=0 (λ will be set to have value 1 at the end of calculation), do the substitution y(x) = y0(x)+λy1(x)+λ2y2(x)+... , and then find how to calculate yn+1 when yn is known (equating like powers of λ)... Is that what you mean by a perturbation calculation?

Often perturbation expansions in quantum mechanics don't converge. I'm not sure how the domain affects this.

Yeah that's what he's talking about. He goes on to spend a lot of the rest of the course dealing with divergent series & relating it to quantum mechanics because you have to deal with infinite dimensional domains due to normalization, but I'm just curious as to solving general second order ode's on finite domains & when you can use this, because he proves that convergence is assured on any finite domain using this method (I just want to be able to identify those problems where I'll be able to use this as a tool).

He's saying that if you are trying to solve the problem for
[tex] x\in (1, \infty) [/tex]
or some other domain of infinite length then you might run into trouble in theory with convergence. But if your domain is finite, like you want to solve it on (-4,12) then you're fine. The problem is a technical one about the rate of convergence of the infinite series - if you don't know what your domain is, the solution never required knowing it, so you can certainly still plug in values of x and be happy. But if you try to do some operation that required it existing on the whole domain (like integrating over all of R) you might run into theoretical trouble.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot, I'll do a bit of work over the next while & hopefully come back with more interesting questions.

Wow, that man is a brilliant lecturer.

I know, he's left-handed too :cool: I got his book I was so enthralled by him, & it's got the same flavour to it. Just as with my lie groups thread I'll throw out the offer to go through these videos & post summaries, thoughts, ideas etc... if you're up for it, though no pressure. I'd love to compare his approach to divergent series with that in Bromwich for example, & have people there to discuss the stuff with, so whatever anyone thinks, no pressure or time constraints as it's summer.

What is Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains?

Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains is a mathematical technique used to study the behavior of a system when it is subjected to small changes or perturbations. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the effects of external forces on a system.

How does Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains work?

In Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains, the system is described by a set of mathematical equations. Small perturbations are then added to these equations, and the resulting solutions are analyzed to understand the behavior of the system. This allows us to make predictions about how the system will respond to changes in its environment.

What are some applications of Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains?

Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains has various applications in different fields such as quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and control systems. It is used to study the behavior of atoms and molecules, predict the stability of fluid flow, and design control systems that can withstand external disturbances.

What are the limitations of Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains?

Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains assumes that the perturbations are small and that the system is linear. This means that it may not accurately predict the behavior of a system under larger or non-linear perturbations. Additionally, it may not work well for complex systems with many variables and interactions.

How is Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains different from other numerical methods?

Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains is a perturbative method, meaning it works by adding small perturbations to a system and analyzing the resulting changes. Other numerical methods, such as finite element analysis or computational fluid dynamics, use numerical approximations to solve the equations directly without adding perturbations. Additionally, Perturbation Theory on Finite Domains is generally used for linear systems, while other methods can handle non-linear systems as well.