Petition for NASA to name TOI-1338 b in honor of musician SOPHIE

• Music
  • Thread starter AndreasC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nasa
In summary: I don't know, I guess it depends on what you think is being appropriated? I don't see how this is any different than naming a planet after Justin Bieber or Katy Perry.I'm not sure how this is science being "taken advantage of" or cultural appropriation. I don't see this hurting anything, it's simply a symbolic gesture.I'm not sure how this is science being "taken advantage of" or cultural appropriation. I don't see this hurting anything, it's simply a symbolic gesture.
AndreasC
Gold Member
https://www.change.org/p/nasa-nasa-name-toi-1338-in-honor-of-sophie

Copied from the petition text:

Sophie Xeon, known mononymously as SOPHIE, was a highly influential singer, songwriter, and producer who was a great inspiration to the LGBTQIA+ community. Her messages, actions, and music left an insurmountable impression on many LGBTQIA+ individuals. She always pushed a message of individuality and expressing your true self which resonated throughout everything she did.

SOPHIE tragically passed away Saturday, January 30th, 2021 around 4:00 AM EET, in Athens, Greece after an accident while attempting to see the full moon. This event has devastated her fanbase, which had looked up to her for inspiration. A fanbase that took her messages and ran with them, further spreading her influence.

When artist renditions of TOI 1338 b (a circumbinary exoplanet discovered by Wolf Cukier and fellow scientists at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center) were featured in the press following the 235th American Astronomical Society meeting in Honolulu, many fans noticed the similarities between the interpretations and the aesthetic sense of SOPHIE’s visual work, specifically the cover for her 2018 album Oil of Every Pearl’s UnInsides.

I am requesting, at the discretion of the incredible scientists who discovered the planet, that TOI 1338 b be named in honor of the great LGBT+ influence, SOPHIE. Her fans would love to pay homage by having her name be remembered in this way and for her influence to continue to flourish for years to come.

Science news on Phys.org
Why petition NASA? Why not petition the Commissioner of Major League baseball?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why petition NASA? Why not petition the Commissioner of Major League baseball?
We can petition him too!

Yeah I know the way it's framed is kinda dumb but at least that way the idea may get some exposure.

AndreasC said:
We can petition him too!

Yeah I know the way it's framed is kinda dumb but at least that way the idea may get some exposure.
Why name a planet after a singer? Surely there will be plenty of accolades from the world of entertainment? There is so little recognition for scientists generally, that this feels like a statement that science is worth little compared to the world of pop music.

Sorry, I would take this as a sign that the world has its priorities all wrong.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz and Hamiltonian
PeroK said:
Why name a planet after a singer? Surely there will be plenty of acolades from the world of entertainment? There is so little recognition for scientists generally, that this feels like a statement that science is worth little compared to the world of pop music.

Sorry, I would take this as a sign that the world has its priorities all wrong.
Ι wouldn't be that cynical. I guess someone can argue that exoplanets are more important than asteroids, but there are plenty of asteroids named after various random scientists, as well as pop personalities etc. There actually are exoplanets named after types of trees or characters from semi-obscure books. I guess if you don't know who SOPHIE is and don't have much connection to her music or the subculture surrounding it, I can't really convince you that it's a big deal. Well, it's not a big deal but it would be a nice thing to happen, especially considering the circumstances of her death.

Somewhat ironically, SOPHIE is actually one of the more underappreciated pop musicians. She is important for a certain demographic, but also she has produced a number of songs for more mainstream artists and she is especially well appreciated among musicians since her music is very original and a very bold departure from the usual in her genre, which is part of why she is not one of the best known artists. Like it or not (and you probably won't if you listen to it lol) it's actually novel and important. There are artists like that in every era, people whose music influences the course of the genre but is too weird or bold to become as popular as everything else. For instance the Velvet Underground comes to mind for music in the 60s. So this is not exactly a case of "I want to name this planet after Kim Kardashian" or something.

Lastly, there's no shortage of astronomical bodies in need of a nickname. So there is nothing stopping us from doing both!

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Why name a planet after a singer? Surely there will be plenty of acolades from the world of entertainment? There is so little recognition for scientists generally, that this feels like a statement that science is worth little compared to the world of pop music.

Sounds like a new form of cultural mis-appropriation!
Science is once again being taken advantage of!
When will it ever end?

• Haha
Likes berkeman, Vanadium 50 and Klystron
BillTre said:
Sounds like a new form of cultural mis-appropriation!
Science is once again being taken advantage of!
When will it ever end?
I'm not sure how this is science being "taken advantage of" or cultural appropriation. I don't see this hurting anything, it's simply a symbolic gesture. And cultural appropriation isn't applicable here.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
AndreasC said:
I'm not sure how this is science being "taken advantage of" or cultural appropriation. I don't see this hurting anything, it's simply a symbolic gesture. And cultural appropriation isn't applicable here.
Its a joke. Don't take it too seriously. :wink:

BillTre said:
Ah alright, I'm sorry, irony doesn't always translate well in the internet!

Likes Klystron and BillTre
AndreasC said:
True. I gave up sarcasm after several disastrous attempts at 'reverse sarcasm', popular among teens.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes AndreasC
I forgot to use an emoji :bow:

BillTre said:
AndreasC said:
Yeah, she is already getting a Darwin award. We should not pile on too many extra honors, IMO... :wink:

Likes PhDeezNutz
AndreasC said:
Ι wouldn't be that cynical.
I wasn't being cynical. If I was being cynical, I would say something like.

Sophie's supporters realize that her music alone won't stand the test of time - that it's stylised and vacuous and will soon be forgotten. It's necessary, therefore, to attach her name to something more permanent in a vain attempt to immortalise someone whom they wish to believe is special, but who is ultimately just another ordinary human being, with no special talents to distinguish her from the other 7.7 billion souls on this planet.

And her contribution to science? That she has an album cover that looks a bit like a photo of a recently discovered exoplanet.

Now that would be cynical.

Likes PhDeezNutz
PeroK said:
I wasn't being cynical. If I was being cynical, I would say something like.

Sophie's supporters realize that her music alone won't stand the test of time - that it's stylised and vacuous and will soon be forgotten. It's necessary, therefore, to attach her name to something more permanent in a vain attempt to immortalise someone whom they wish to believe is special, but who is ultimately just another ordinary human being, with no special talents to distinguish her from the other 7.7 billion souls on this planet.

And her contribution to science? That she has an album cover that looks a bit like a photo of a recently discovered exoplanet.

Now that would be cynical.
It would also be wrong.

AndreasC said:
It would also be wrong.
Perhaps so. But, look at it this way. If I discovered a new planet, I might want to name it after my favourite musician; not yours.

Likes PhDeezNutz
PeroK said:
Perhaps so. But, look at it this way. If I discovered a new planet, I might want to name it after my favourite musician; not yours.
Then you could do a petition.

AndreasC said:
Then you could do a petition.
You miss the point. If you discover a planet or a comet or something, you would have a case to name it yourself. You wouldn't have to petition someone else to name their discovery according to your wishes.

Likes PhDeezNutz
PeroK said:
You miss the point. If you discover a planet or a comet or something, you would have a case to name it yourself. You wouldn't have to petition someone else to name their discovery according to your wishes.
I mean, so far no one named that discovery, same with most other exoplanets and asteroids, so...

AndreasC said:
I guess someone can argue that exoplanets are more important than asteroids, but there are plenty of asteroids named after various random scientists, as well as pop personalities etc.

There are also a great many more of them.

By deciding that an asteroid isn't good enough, and the other exoplanets aren't good enough and it has to be this one (because an artist's conception of the planet is kind of pastel-y like one of her album covers), the odds of success are lowered. By addressing the petition to the wrong people (NASA), the odds are lowered further.

Vanadium 50 said:
There are also a great many more of them
They're still ever growing though.

Vanadium 50 said:
By deciding that an asteroid isn't good enough
I don't think this mentions an exoplanet because an asteroid is not good enough. I don't think people would mind if it was an asteroid instead of an exoplanet.

It could be any other exoplanet, one is not much better than the other, but eh, this has to be about something so why not this one. It's not terribly important. You're digging too much into it.

AndreasC said:
You're digging too much into it.

I'm reading the request as written. You might be happy with the alternatives. That doesn't mean everybody is. I can only go by what was written. And I stand by my statement that the petition authors made some mistakes.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm reading the request as written. You might be happy with the alternatives. That doesn't mean everybody is. I can only go by what was written. And I stand by my statement that the petition authors made some mistakes.
Sure, I agree they made some mistakes, but petitions aren't terribly important. They just give an idea some extra exposure, and gauge interest. So if people are interested, they can sign it, and maybe it will take some more exposure that way! If not, that's alright, it's not that important.

What is TOI-1338 b and why is there a petition to name it after musician SOPHIE?

TOI-1338 b is an exoplanet, meaning it is a planet that orbits a star other than our sun. It was discovered by NASA's Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) and is currently known by its technical name. The petition to name it after musician SOPHIE is to honor her contributions to the music industry and her impact on the LGBTQ+ community.

How does NASA name exoplanets and who has the authority to name them?

NASA follows the International Astronomical Union's (IAU) guidelines for naming exoplanets. The IAU has a committee called the Working Group on Star Names (WGSN) that is responsible for assigning names to exoplanets. However, the IAU does not typically name exoplanets after individuals, so the petition would need to be approved by the WGSN and follow their guidelines for naming conventions.

What is the process for naming an exoplanet and how long does it take?

The process for naming an exoplanet involves submitting a formal proposal to the IAU's WGSN. The proposal must include a justification for the name, its significance, and how it aligns with the IAU's naming conventions. The WGSN then reviews the proposal and makes a decision, which can take several months to a year. If the proposal is approved, the new name will be added to the official list of exoplanet names.

Has NASA ever named an exoplanet after a musician or artist before?

No, NASA has not named an exoplanet after a musician or artist before. However, there have been exoplanets named after famous scientists, writers, and historical figures.

What impact would naming an exoplanet after SOPHIE have on the scientific community?

Naming an exoplanet after SOPHIE would bring attention to both the planet and the musician, potentially sparking interest in astronomy and space exploration among a wider audience. It could also serve as a reminder of the intersection between art and science and the importance of diversity and representation in both fields.

Back