PF 1 Year subscription auto renewed for a higher price?

• Thread starter mepcotterell
  • Start date
In summary: I can look up your payment and refund you your money.In summary, a member noticed an unauthorized charge for a 1-year subscription to PF for a higher price through automatic renewal. After some investigation and communication with the website owner, it was discovered that there may have been a glitch with PayPal causing the issue. The website owner has offered to refund the overcharged amount and is willing to assist with turning off the automatic renewal feature. Other members have also shared their experiences with similar issues and have expressed satisfaction with the resolution.
mepcotterell
PF 1 Year subscription auto renewed for a higher price!?

I checked my email this morning and noticed that I had an email from PayPal saying that I had "sent $25.00 USD to Greg Bernhardt as a subscription payment." So, I logged into PayPal and sure enough, there was a transaction.

Amount: $25.00 USD
Date: Jun 14, 2007
Subscription Name: PF Contributors 1yr Subscription

First off, I did not authorize automatic renewal nor did I have a billing agreement with PhysicsForums.

Second off, the website says that a 1-year subscription is $15 USD... which means that I was overcharged.

Third off, I checked all around my PF control panel and cannot find any information on how to turn off the automatic renewal.

I just don't think this is at all acceptable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Send Greg a private message. I'm sure he'll make it right.

PF doesn't control PayPal -- we can't make PayPal send us money from your bank account! It sounds like you somehow accidentally configured PayPal to send money every year, but I don't know why. Definitely send Greg a PM -- he will either refund your money (if you wish that) or refund the overcharge. I would also check with PayPal to figure out why it happened in the first place. This is (honestly, no kidding) the first time anyone has ever complained about something like this, so let us know what you figure out. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

- Warren

I thought all the money went to the sisterhood

arunbg said:
Sssssshhhhh! :uhh:

Same thing happened to me, but Greg gave me a refund right away. I called PayPal and they changed something so I wouldn't automatically renew the subscription next year.

It all depends on when you first signed up for a subscription and what the settings where then. As we configure settings and as the forum software is upgraded there often times discrepancies with the separate paypal system. I will refund you your money once I get back into town (17th).

arunbg said:

*WHAT*? I knew something was wrong here... :devil::tongue:

I think I have autorenewal, but I don't bother to check. I trust Greg.

PF is worth more than $25/yr anyway. :biggrin:

Even that last reply won't earn you a discount Astro :rofl:
You should try flattering the sisterhood, they are the real money ...ehemmmm... power holders :uhh:

I recall there being a glitch with PayPal back a while ago (around the last time I renewed I think, so that would fit with the timing of this), where it was requiring you to create a PayPal account to autorenew in order to become a contributor. I know because it tried to do that to me, and I promptly posted here about it (I just canceled the transaction at that point before signing up). Greg did get it fixed right away (within hours) but I'm guessing there will be at least a few others who became contributors at a similar time who will encounter this problem if they didn't notice it when signing up.

If it happens to anyone else, let Greg know right away. And, it would be helpful if someone finds an easier way than calling PayPal to turn off the autorenewal feature once it's started for them to post instructions here in case anyone else needs that information.

It's now the 20th... I don't mind paying to be a contributor, It's just that I don't feel right about being overcharged for it. If I could get the difference back then that would work out great.

mepcotterell said:
It's now the 20th... I don't mind paying to be a contributor, It's just that I don't feel right about being overcharged for it. If I could get the difference back then that would work out great.

PM me your paypal addy

1. Why was my PF subscription auto renewed for a higher price?

There are a few reasons why your PF subscription may have been auto renewed for a higher price. One possibility is that the initial promotional price has expired and the subscription has reverted to the regular price. Another reason could be that the subscription includes additional features or services that were not included in the previous price. Finally, it is possible that there was a price increase for all PF subscriptions.

2. Can I cancel my PF subscription after it has been auto renewed for a higher price?

Yes, you can cancel your PF subscription at any time. However, please keep in mind that the subscription will remain active until the end of the current billing cycle. This means that you will still have access to all the features and services until the subscription expires.

3. Will I be notified before my PF subscription is auto renewed for a higher price?

Yes, you will receive an email notification before your PF subscription is auto renewed for a higher price. This notification will include the new price and the date when the renewal will take place. You can also check your account settings to view the upcoming renewal dates.

4. Can I opt out of the auto renewal for my PF subscription?

Yes, you can opt out of the auto renewal for your PF subscription. Simply go to your account settings and select the option to cancel the auto renewal. However, please keep in mind that this means your subscription will expire at the end of the current billing cycle and you will need to manually renew it if you wish to continue using PF.

5. Is it possible to negotiate the price of my PF subscription?

The price of your PF subscription is non-negotiable as it is based on the current market value and the features and services included in the subscription. However, we constantly strive to offer competitive prices and provide value to our customers. If you have any concerns about the price of your subscription, please reach out to our customer service team for assistance.