PH of a polyprotic acid using multiple equilibria - is this correct?

In summary, the pH of 0.02025 M tartaric acid can be found using the method of multiple equilibria by calculating the overall Ka value, which is equal to the product of Ka1 and Ka2. However, it is important to take into account the intermediate reactions, as ignoring them can lead to incorrect calculations. The correct derivation can be found by considering all relevant reactions.
FredericChopin

Homework Statement

Find the pH of 0.02025 M tartaric acid using the method of multiple equilibria given that its Ka1 value is 9.2*10-4 and its Ka2 value is 4.31*10-5.

Homework Equations

Kaoverall = Ka1 * Ka2

The Attempt at a Solution

Please check the Word document.

Is my method and calculation correct?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Is this correct.docx
    17.1 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
For some reason I can't open the file. .docx is not the best format. Try to post it here using LaTeX, or - at worst - as an image.

Hm... that's strange.

I'll upload images files then (LaTeX is too much trouble...)

They're in order of page number.

Attachments

• Is this correct-0.jpg
    Is this correct-0.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 516
  • Is this correct-1.jpg
    Is this correct-1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 495
  • Is this correct-2.jpg
    Is this correct-2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 507
  • Is this correct-3.jpg
    Is this correct-3.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 489
Seems like you have completely ignored presence of HT-.

pH of the 0.02025 M tartaric acid is 2.41, as long as your calculations don't reproduce this result they are wrong.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 557
The reason I'm asking is because I answered the same question but instead used the step-by-step equilibrium method and I got a different answer.

I can't see where I went wrong though. Both methods should yield the same answer.

They're in order of page number.

Attachments

• pH Calculations 2-0.jpg
    pH Calculations 2-0.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 534
  • pH Calculations 2-1.jpg
    pH Calculations 2-1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 509
  • pH Calculations 2-2.jpg
    pH Calculations 2-2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 464
  • pH Calculations 2-3.jpg
    pH Calculations 2-3.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 510
  • pH Calculations 2-4.jpg
    pH Calculations 2-4.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 518
Borek said:
Seems like you have completely ignored presence of HT-.

pH of the 0.02025 M tartaric acid is 2.41, as long as your calculations don't reproduce this result they are wrong.

Hm... but wouldn't it cancel out in the equation?

No. Just because it cancels out in a partial system of equations doesn't mean it shouldn't be taken into account. Overall equation doesn't say a word about intermediate steps, which doesn't mean they don't exist.

Correct derivation is shown on the page I already linked to.

Ah. You're right. I see where I went wrong.

It's not working because I'm writing an overall reaction that doesn't exist. And it wouldn't work unless there's a third reaction. Otherwise, as you said, I would miss the intermediate reactions.

Thank you.

1. What is a polyprotic acid?

A polyprotic acid is a type of acid that has more than one acidic hydrogen atom and can donate multiple protons in a chemical reaction.

2. How does a polyprotic acid affect pH?

A polyprotic acid can have multiple equilibrium reactions, each with its own equilibrium constant and corresponding pH value. This can make it challenging to calculate the overall pH of a solution containing a polyprotic acid.

3. What is multiple equilibria in relation to polyprotic acids?

Multiple equilibria refers to the different equilibrium reactions that can occur between a polyprotic acid and water molecules. Each equilibrium reaction has its own equilibrium constant and contributes to the overall pH of the solution.

4. How is the pH of a polyprotic acid solution calculated using multiple equilibria?

The pH of a polyprotic acid solution can be calculated by considering each individual equilibrium reaction and its corresponding equilibrium constant. These values can then be used in an equation to determine the overall pH of the solution.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the pH of a polyprotic acid using multiple equilibria?

The accuracy of calculating the pH of a polyprotic acid using multiple equilibria can be affected by factors such as the concentration of the acid, temperature, and the presence of other substances that can also undergo equilibrium reactions with the acid.