Phase difference between magnetic and electric field

In summary, the electric and magnetic field oscillate in phase when solving differential equations for an electromagnetic wave, but when considering a oscillating dipole, the electric and magnetic field at a point close to the dipole are a quater period out of phase.
Tazerfish
When solving the differential equations for an electromagnetic wave you get out that the electric and magnetic field oscillate in phase.
But when considering a oscillating dipole, the electric and magnetic field at a point close to the dipole are a quater period out of phase.

Can someone please explain how the initial "near field" wave becomes the "far field" wave ?
I would prefer a somewhat intuitive explanation, but a purely mathematical one isn't going to kill me :wink:.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want the interstitial form of the EM wave?
Both solutions are approximations to the complete solution, neither are complete.

Intuitively: using gravity as an analogy ...
When you drop a mass from a short height, the "short distance" field approximation for gravity is used. For very tall heights, the "long distance" field approximation is used. Your question amounts to asking how the long distance solutions turn into the short distance solutions.

It may help to review:
http://web.mit.edu/8.02T/www/materials/Presentations/Presentation_W14D2.pdf

Last edited:
But isn't gravity a bit of a disanalogy in this case ?
I don't know what you mean by "long distance" approximation. You could just as well use this formula ## a= \frac{GM}{r^2} ##.
Without considering relativistic effects you would be done at that point.
No approximations needed.It would be ideal if something like that would work for my problem as well.

You perfectly understood my question, yet the answer was a little unsatisfying.(I don't mean to be rude in saying that.)
I am still no closer to imagining or calculating the intermediate states.:frown:
And if somebody would ask me to explain (probably from maxwells equations) why the near field wave cannot persist and why it changes into the far field wave I would be completely stumped.
I feel like that is a gap in my knowledge and intuition that really could and should be filled.

Tazerfish said:
You perfectly understood my question, yet the answer was a little unsatisfying.
OK. Here's an arm waving electrical explanation.
The current phase at the feed point of a transmitting dipole is (more or less) in quadrature with the voltage. You can say that, in the vicinity of the dipole the E field is due to the volts and the H field is due to the Current. But it isn't exactly in quadrature because there is a Resistive component in the Impedance at the feed point. It is that resistance (the Radiation Resistance) that accounts for the power that's actually radiated. That's due to the In Phase components of the V and I.
At a distance, the Power that's radiated must be due to in-phase E and H; the quadrature parts of the fields have died out because no power is transported away due to them. At switch-on, these reactive fields take some time to establish themselves because they actually store Energy.
What happens in the middle distance is much harder to calculate - above my pay grade - but it needs to be considered with multiple element array design where the elements interact with each other. The Mutual Impedance between elements will be resistive and reactive and is very dependent on separation, passing through all quadrants of the complex impedance. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/224692647_Receiving_Mutual_Impedance_between_Two_Parallel_Dipole_Antennas shows what I mean. It isn't an 'explanation but it does show how the relative amounts of in phase and quadrature will vary as the distance increases. It ends up 'all resistive' at great distance of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Tazerfish
sophiecentaur said:
OK. Here's an arm waving electrical explanation.
The current phase at the feed point of a transmitting dipole is (more or less) in quadrature with the voltage. You can say that, in the vicinity of the dipole the E field is due to the volts and the H field is due to the Current. But it isn't exactly in quadrature because there is a Resistive component in the Impedance at the feed point. It is that resistance (the Radiation Resistance) that accounts for the power that's actually radiated. That's due to the In Phase components of the V and I.
At a distance, the Power that's radiated must be due to in-phase E and H; the quadrature parts of the fields have died out because no power is transported away due to them. At switch-on, these reactive fields take some time to establish themselves because they actually store Energy.
What happens in the middle distance is much harder to calculate - above my pay grade - but it needs to be considered with multiple element array design where the elements interact with each other. The Mutual Impedance between elements will be resistive and reactive and is very dependent on separation, passing through all quadrants of the complex impedance. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/224692647_Receiving_Mutual_Impedance_between_Two_Parallel_Dipole_Antennas shows what I mean. It isn't an 'explanation but it does show how the relative amounts of in phase and quadrature will vary as the distance increases. It ends up 'all resistive' at great distance of course.
Thanks, that was very helpful :D
I am a big fan of arm waving electrical explanations :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Near field is basically the electrostatic solution. You don't have "waves", just charges and the fields that surround the charges.
Far field is just the waves. If you made the charges magically disappear, you would still have waves propagating outward.

Khashishi said:
Near field is basically the electrostatic solution.
Why only 'Electrostatic"? What would you get with a loop antenna?

I made a mistake. Ignore my post.

1. What is the phase difference between the magnetic and electric field?

The phase difference between the magnetic and electric field refers to the difference in the timing or position of the two fields. In other words, it is the relative shift between the peaks or troughs of the electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is the phase difference between the magnetic and electric field measured?

The phase difference is typically measured in degrees or radians and can be calculated using the formula Φ = ωt, where Φ is the phase difference, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time.

3. What causes the phase difference between the magnetic and electric field?

The phase difference between the magnetic and electric field is caused by the fact that these two fields are perpendicular to each other and have different frequencies. This results in a relative shift between the two fields.

4. How does the phase difference affect electromagnetic waves?

The phase difference between the magnetic and electric field is a key factor in determining the properties of electromagnetic waves. It affects the direction, polarization, and intensity of the waves, and can also impact their interference patterns and propagation.

5. Can the phase difference between the magnetic and electric field be changed?

Yes, the phase difference between the magnetic and electric field can be changed by altering the properties of the source of the fields, such as the frequency or amplitude. It can also be changed through the use of devices like phase shifters or polarizers.