Phase/group refractive index and reflection

In summary: Your summary is correct. The reflection occurs when the refractive index equals the plasma frequency. This is generally the case, but it can also happen when the refractive index is greater than the plasma frequency.
carlos-carlos
Let's consider a simlified ionosphere. It is a cold plasma without magnetic field and without electron-neutral collisions. The refractive index for radio waves is nf=sqrt(1-(w/wp)^2) (w is the frequency of the radiwave, wp the plasma frequency). It easy to demonstrate that the group refraction index is in this case ng=1/nf.
For vertical incidence the reflection occur at the level where wp=w, i.e where nf->0, and ng ->infinite.
My question is: is this result general?

Does the reflection occur when nf=0 (always)?
Does the reflection occur when ng-> infinite (always)?
Does ng-> infinite when nf->0 (always)?

Regards

Carlos

Science news on Phys.org
carlos-carlos said:
Let's consider a simlified ionosphere. It is a cold plasma without magnetic field and without electron-neutral collisions. The refractive index for radio waves is nf=sqrt(1-(w/wp)^2) (w is the frequency of the radiwave, wp the plasma frequency). It easy to demonstrate that the group refraction index is in this case ng=1/nf.
For vertical incidence the reflection occur at the level where wp=w, i.e where nf->0, and ng ->infinite.

Regards

Carlos
My understanding is that Refractive Index = SQRT(1-(fc/f)^2)
I had not made the connection that Critical Frequency=Plasma Frequency, but if so, the formulas are different.
We know that at the critical frequency the (group) delay rises steeply and it seems that the wave then stops.
The Wiki article on Plasma Frequency seems to agree with you:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_oscillation

carlos-carlos said:

Regards

Yes. Sorry. The right formula is nf=sqrt(1-(wp/w)^2), wp= plasma frequency, w= frequency of the radiowave. When the wave approaches a region where wp become =w (the electron density is sufficient) nf=0, ng-> infinite, and the reflection occur.

Bt my main question is: is this result general?

RegardsCarlos

1. What is the difference between phase and group refractive index?

Phase refractive index is a measure of the speed of light in a medium, and it describes how much the phase of a light wave is changed when passing through the medium. Group refractive index, on the other hand, takes into account the dispersion of light and describes how much the group velocity of a light wave is changed in a medium.

2. How are phase and group refractive index related?

Phase and group refractive index are related through the material's dispersion properties. Mathematically, the group refractive index is the derivative of the phase refractive index with respect to the wavelength.

3. What factors can affect the phase and group refractive index?

Phase and group refractive index can be affected by the composition and density of the material, as well as by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric fields. These factors can alter the material's optical properties, leading to changes in the refractive index.

4. How is reflection related to the refractive index?

Reflection occurs when light waves encounter a change in refractive index at a boundary between two materials. The amount of reflection depends on the difference in refractive indices between the two materials. This is described by the Fresnel equations, which take into account the angle of incidence and the polarization of the light.

5. Can the refractive index be negative?

Yes, in certain materials known as metamaterials, the refractive index can be negative. This means that light will bend in the opposite direction as it would in a normal material. Negative refractive index materials have unique optical properties and have potential applications in areas such as superlenses and invisibility cloaks.