Photodetector Output & Refractive Index of FO Cladding/Coating

In summary, the conversation involves the speaker discussing their work with a gas chamber and optical fibers. Their supervisor has asked them to measure the difference in refractive index between different optical fibers with different coatings, and the speaker is unsure of the mathematical formula related to the photodetector's voltage output or luxmeter's lux output. They mention their nanofiber experiment being cancelled and their plans to use dipcoating and electrospinning in the future. However, the speaker still does not understand the basic concept of how the photodetector works, despite reading about quantum efficiency and photoelectric effect.
benagastov
After I finished preparing gas chamber for testing optical fiber as gas sensor, my supervisor asked me to measure the difference of refractive index from several optical fiber with different coatings. I knew there is Evanescent Field and Skin Depth effect, but what kind of mathematical formula that related with Photodetector's voltage output or Luxmeter's lux output?

I got my nanofiber experiment cancelled due to difficulty to attach that nanofiber into optical fiber's core. But I still have some time to use dipcoating method, and try again doing electrospinning next semester. Unfortunately, I still dont understand this basic concept how the photodetector works. I read about quantum efficiency, photoelectric effect, etc. But still have no clue.

Science news on Phys.org

The photodetector output is directly related to the refractive index of the optical fiber cladding/coating. This is because the refractive index determines the amount of light that is transmitted through the fiber and reaches the photodetector. The higher the refractive index, the more light is transmitted and the higher the photodetector's voltage output or luxmeter's lux output will be.

In order to understand the mathematical formula that relates the photodetector's output to the refractive index, it is important to first understand the concept of quantum efficiency. This is a measure of how efficiently the photodetector converts incident light into an electrical signal. The higher the quantum efficiency, the more sensitive the photodetector will be to changes in the refractive index of the fiber.

The photoelectric effect is also important to understand in this context. This is the process by which photons (particles of light) are converted into electrons, which can then be measured by the photodetector. The amount of electrons produced is directly proportional to the intensity of the incident light, which is in turn dependent on the refractive index of the fiber.

In summary, the mathematical formula that relates the photodetector's output to the refractive index of the fiber is based on the principles of quantum efficiency and the photoelectric effect. By understanding these concepts, you will be able to accurately measure and compare the refractive index of different fibers with different coatings using your photodetector.

1. What is a photodetector and how does it work?

A photodetector is a device used to detect and measure light. It works by converting light energy into electrical signals. This is achieved through the use of a photosensitive material, such as a semiconductor, which produces an electrical current when exposed to light.

2. How is the output of a photodetector measured?

The output of a photodetector is typically measured in terms of voltage or current. This measurement is usually taken using a multimeter or oscilloscope. The output can also be recorded and analyzed using specialized software.

3. What factors affect the output of a photodetector?

The output of a photodetector can be affected by a variety of factors, including the intensity and wavelength of the incident light, the sensitivity of the photosensitive material, and the efficiency of the conversion process. Other factors such as temperature and noise can also impact the output.

4. What is the refractive index of a fiber optic cladding or coating?

The refractive index of a fiber optic cladding or coating refers to the measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when passing through the material. It is an important factor in determining the performance of the fiber optic system, as it affects the amount of light that can be transmitted and the quality of the signal.

5. How does the refractive index of a fiber optic cladding or coating affect the performance of a photodetector?

The refractive index of the fiber optic cladding or coating can impact the performance of a photodetector in several ways. It can affect the amount of light that reaches the photodetector, as well as the angle and direction of the light. Additionally, a mismatch in refractive index between the fiber and the photodetector can lead to loss of signal and decreased sensitivity.