Photoelectric effect in the study of a luminous diode (LED)

In summary, the connection between the photoelectric effect and LEDs is the ability to determine the Planck constant. This is done by measuring the current and voltage threshold.
volnei_cipriano
I have studied the operation of light Diodes in the basic electronics course in my graduation and I had a question!
Light Diodes (LEDs) are semiconductor materials with P-N junctions and that when energized emit visible light. I understand that the process of light emission when applying a source of energy is called electroluminescence. Thinking about the photoelectric effect, it is possible to make a relation of the emission of luminous photons, due to the process of recombination of electrons in the depletion regions of the P-N junction, with the photoelectric effect? Explaining my thinking, LED's of silicon and germanium, part of this energy due to recombination of gaps and electrons produce an energy in which most is released as heat, yet a small part is emitted almost negligibly is light. Knowing that the GAP energy in the silicon semiconductor is 1.1 eV, would it be possible for me to calculate the frequency of this light emission? Is this possible or am I commenting on a conceptual error in applying the photoelectric effect?

Forgive my bad English, I recently started learning my language.

Physics news on Phys.org
volnei_cipriano said:
I have studied the operation of light Diodes in the basic electronics course in my graduation and I had a question!
Light Diodes (LEDs) are semiconductor materials with P-N junctions and that when energized emit visible light. I understand that the process of light emission when applying a source of energy is called electroluminescence. Thinking about the photoelectric effect, it is possible to make a relation of the emission of luminous photons, due to the process of recombination of electrons in the depletion regions of the P-N junction, with the photoelectric effect? Explaining my thinking, LED's of silicon and germanium, part of this energy due to recombination of gaps and electrons produce an energy in which most is released as heat, yet a small part is emitted almost negligibly is light. Knowing that the GAP energy in the silicon semiconductor is 1.1 eV, would it be possible for me to calculate the frequency of this light emission? Is this possible or am I commenting on a conceptual error in applying the photoelectric effect?

Forgive my bad English, I recently started learning my language.

The "connection" between the LEDs and photoelectric effect is the ability to determine the Planck constant using the threshold current and voltage. This experiment is a common experiment, especially in high schools here in the US, because it doesn't require the more expensive setup involves in doing the photoelectric effect.

https://www.scienceinschool.org/2014/issue28/planck

Zz.

Thanks for the clarification, the electronic address provided will be of great help for a project that I am idealizing.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect refers to the emission of electrons from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This phenomenon was first observed and studied by Albert Einstein and has been applied in various technologies, including the study of luminous diodes (LEDs).

2. How does the photoelectric effect work in a LED?

In a LED, the photoelectric effect is used to convert electrical energy into light energy. When a voltage is applied to the LED, it excites electrons in the material, causing them to move from the conduction band to the valence band. As they move, they release energy in the form of photons, which are the particles of light.

3. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect in LEDs?

The photoelectric effect is crucial in the functioning of LEDs because it is responsible for the emission of light. Without this phenomenon, LEDs would not be able to produce light and would not be useful in various applications, such as lighting and display technologies.

4. How is the photoelectric effect utilized in LED technology?

In LED technology, the photoelectric effect is utilized in the construction of the LED itself. The material used in the LED, called a semiconductor, has a specific bandgap that determines the frequency of light it can emit. By adjusting the bandgap, different colors of light can be produced, allowing for a wide range of applications.

5. What are the limitations of the photoelectric effect in LED technology?

One limitation of the photoelectric effect in LED technology is that it only works with direct current (DC) electricity. This means that LEDs cannot be powered by alternating current (AC) without additional circuitry. Additionally, the efficiency of LEDs can be affected by factors such as temperature and current, which can limit their performance in certain applications.