Photon Direction: What Determines the Emission?

In summary, the direction of radiation when a charge is accelerated is determined by the disturbance in the electric field, which is spherically symmetric. This results in the emission of photons in all directions, with a distribution that is axially symmetric around the direction of acceleration. This is similar to the emission of photons when an electron drops down an energy level in an atom, and the direction of emission can be determined by measuring the recoil of the atom. This shows that the direction of photon emission in both cases is random and not determined by any specific factor.
XanziBar
So I'm trying to figure out something I don't understand about the direction of radiation when a charge is accelerated. I know that when a charge is accelerated it gives off EM radiation, which I kind of picture as the electric field of the charge 'wiggling' spherically all around it. If that picture is right, how does the photon know which way to go if say the charge is accelerated to the right. The disturbance in the electric field is spherically symmetric, is a photn emitted in all directions?

I'm trying to relate this to what I know about atoms, I figrue if an electron drops down an energy level in an atom you can tell the direction of the photon emission by measuring the recoil of the atom. But I figure the electric field must wiggle in a similar way in that case, since the electron dropping down is similar to an accelerating charge.

I guess it comes down to what determines the direction of a photon emission in either case? Tried not to be too confusing.

Science news on Phys.org
In both cases the photon is emitted in some random direction. If you get many photons than they will distribute themselves along many different directions around the accelerating atom. That won't really be a spherically symmetric distribution since the acceleration has a direction in space which breaks the symmetry, but the distribution will be axially symmetric around that direction.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is the direction of a photon emission determined?

The direction of a photon emission is determined by the direction of the electric and magnetic fields that make up the electromagnetic wave.

3. What factors influence the direction of photon emission?

The direction of photon emission is influenced by the properties of the emitting object, such as its shape, temperature, and composition. The medium through which the photon travels can also affect its direction.

4. Can the direction of photon emission be controlled?

Yes, the direction of photon emission can be controlled through various methods such as using mirrors or lenses to redirect the light, or by manipulating the emitting source.

5. How does the direction of photon emission impact its behavior?

The direction of photon emission can greatly impact its behavior, as it determines the path that the photon will travel. This can affect factors such as the distance the photon will travel, the intensity of the light, and the interaction of the photon with other particles.