Photon Manipulation: Can We Redirect and Teleport?

In summary, Warrenchroot said that there is no known way to bend or alter the motion of light without matter in the way. He also said that quantum teleportation deals with the teleportation of the state of particles, not actual particles themselves. Finally, Paden Roder said that YES, it is possible to teleport photons from random place (any place; without apparature placed there; only apparature is the one with reciever).
SAZAR
1.) Is it posible to somehow create some FIELD that redirects light when passing thorough?
2.) I heard that there were some experiments with photon teleportation - is there some method to teleport photons from random place (any place; without apparature placed there; only apparature is the one with reciever)?

Science news on Phys.org
By "field," I assume you mean "anything except matter." In that sense, no, there is no known way to bend or alter the motion of light without matter in the way.

And no, quantum teleportation deals with the teleportation of the state of particles, not actual particles themselves.

- Warren

chroot said: And no, quantum teleportation deals with the teleportation of the state of particles, not actual particles themselves.
I assume you are talking about entanglement.

Paden Roder

No, I'm talking about teleportation.

- Warren

chroot said: No, I'm talking about teleportation.
Yes, but the phenomenon of particles being able to simultaneously correlate states, as if they were interacting with each other, over any distance, is called entanglement. I presume you are using this phenomenon when you explain teleportation of states.

Or am I way off base here? Because if I am, I'm done. :smile:

Paden Roder

Well, true, quantum teleportation is based upon entanglement.

- Warren

Photons are influenced by a gravitational field. But obviously this is a very small effect and is a lot harder to do than creating an E or B field.

Heh, how could I have forgotten gravity? Eek!

- Warren

Kurdt said: Photons are influenced by a gravitational field. But obviously this is a very small effect and is a lot harder to do than creating an E or B field.
Yeah, I was actually thinking about this. I remembered seeing something on how if you can bend light enough using mirrors, you can somehow send information back in time. I don't know exactly how it works,... thus the reason I never put it down in the first place. Although, I don't know for sure what this has to do with teleportation. More like time travel.

Which makes me wonder why I just posted this...

Paden Roder

PRodQuanta said:
Yeah, I was actually thinking about this. I remembered seeing something on how if you can bend light enough using mirrors, you can somehow send information back in time
Paden Roder

Ah...are you sure about that? It would seem to violate SR to me. :confused:

SAZAR said:
1.) Is it posible to somehow create some FIELD that redirects light when passing thorough?

I had to quote my entire quesions...

Having in mind that matter (like glass (typical example...)) bends light because of intermolecular forces I thought that it might be possible to use that fact to SOMEHOW mimic a field codition which does that... I don't know... - long ago people thought that magnetic field can come only from magnet (wow: "in some magic ways?!?"), but later we discovered that it can also be created by electricity passing thoroug a ...wire for example... Of course that it would be harder to mimic field that can bend light without acual matter in place - but supposed generator of that field should be a replacment for actual matter - just like wire substitutes magnet!..
Crucial sentence ---> IT'S REALLY HARD TO BELIEVE THAT WE CANNOT REPLICATE SUCH SIMPLE NATURE'S EFFECT THAT SOROUND'S US EVERYWHERE!..
(don't think that I forgot that that field would atract molecules, and also full implications of that mechanism!.. (you know what I mean))

SAZAR said:
2.) I heard that there were some experiments with photon teleportation - is there some method to teleport photons from random place (any place; without apparature placed there; only apparature is the one with reciever)?

YES. I had entanglement mechanism in mind (I don't fully understand it, but I suppose that it has something to do with mechanism that something imitates the state of something else somewhere else). Yes I understud that it doesn't actulaly teleport photon - but it doesn't matter (it's not of the essence). My point is:
For example: Imagine that there is some mechanism to project (with two directing aparatures which take the state of the photon on place where their imaginary directing lines intersect in space) where from you want to take the present state of the photon in existence on that place - thus replicating state of that photon at our apparature... Latter we'll think about the fact that thorough that point in space could pass infinite (?) numbers of photons...

The only reason matter effects the path of light is because the speed is different in that matter than in normal space or a vacuum I should say rather. This is because the constant of the permitivity of a material is different than that of free space which determies the speed according to Maxwell's equations (which I derived in another thread; can't remember which). a magnetic field has no effect on the permitivity of a substance neither does an electric field.

"magnetic field has no effect on the permitivity of a substance neither does an electric field."
really? Some ferroelectrics change their dielectric permitivity when a voltage is applied.
I remember reading somewhere that strong magnetic field has been used to deflect laser in attempts to design TVs using lasers, though effect was too small for being useful. not true?

Field that redirects light must be field of varying permittivity or permeability. Can this be done to vacuum? Casimir vacuum?

Yes well i the context of this thread the effect is so small it can be ignored unless the worlds most powerful electromagnet has been discovered and is being used for scientific research.

Kurdt said:
The only reason matter effects the path of light is because the speed is different in that matter than in normal space or a vacuum I should say rather.

This is because the constant of the permitivity of a material is different than that of free space which determies the speed according to Maxwell's equations (which I derived in another thread; can't remember which).

A magnetic field has no effect on the permitivity of a substance neither does an electric field.

1.) Ah! And have you ever asked yourself what is that in the matter that does this? Light goes on one speed in one matter, and on other speed in other matter - something slows it down, man(!) isn't it obvious? It must be some field - else: it would be absorbed!

2.) "Constant of permitivity" is something that we (humans) invented to make it easy to calculate our equations - it doesn't explain the core of the phenomenon.

3.) I mentioned Magnet JUST as an example (a relation) for what I was talking about - you know:
Magnet <---> Elctromagnet
IS SAME AS
Light-Bending-Matter <---> Light-Bending-Field-Generator

Matter is our abstraction. What is it fundamentally? Isn't it electromagnetic phenomena?

else: it would be absorbed!

Bingo! We have a winner! Light travels slower through a material because it is adsorbed..Then emitted, in a very nearly random direction. I would recommend that you find a copy of QED by Richard Feynman.

While man has become very good at utilizing our knowledge of the universe, we have never changed the way it works. Light is adsorbed and emitted, those are fundamental facts that we cannot change.

Integral said:
Bingo! We have a winner! Light travels slower through a material because it is adsorbed..Then emitted, in a very nearly random direction. I would recommend that you find a copy of QED by Richard Feynman.

While man has become very good at utilizing our knowledge of the universe, we have never changed the way it works. Light is adsorbed and emitted, those are fundamental facts that we cannot change.

Note that adsorbed is different than absorbed, and I think the conclusion of QED is that when discussing the slowing of light, the re-emission is not in a random direction. If it was, a material could not be transparent and have an index that appreciably varied from 1.

Er... Yes it is in a random direction, but the probabilities of it taking different paths ae not uniform. It is random, but its randomness still obeys some laws.

OK then... While we're still here - a qustion related to something I've said in some post before...

OK - you explained that the process of aDsorbtion is the thing that does the slowing-of-the-light bussines; but while I was thinking wrong (that intermolecular forces do that) I mentioned that (if it (intermolecular force) is to be used to bend light) it would atract matter too.
Question: Is it posible to mimic intermolecular force (what is it?)?

(Oh; also don't forget the other question (about teleportation of the state of photon from a random place...))

I shouldn't see why it would not be possible to get some approximation of an intermolecular force of an ionic substance. Any other kind of bond may be a bit more difficult.

With ionic the electric fields of positive and negative ions should be easy to reproduce with conducting spheres I would imagine.

Oh; and by the way: have you seen it on television when they used some super-strong-magnet to affect everything - doesn't matter if it's magnetised, or if it can be magnetised - nothing - they put a strawberry and it floated on the magnetic field! (this (kind of) has to do a lot of with my intermoloecular question above - that field must also affect air - it pushes it also, doesn't it?)

There was a guy came and did a seminar at my university and floated frogs (I don't know why he chose frogs) in a magnetic field. yes the majority of atoms have a magnetic moment which can be manipulated if in the presence of a strong enough magnetic field. Magnetic fields in intermolecular forces would be a side effect of the ions moving in the lattice. It may be a little harder to take these into account in a mock up in the lab but I do not believe they would be necessary as they are tiny fluctuations and the main force of binding is the electrostatic attraction.

Related to Photon Manipulation: Can We Redirect and Teleport?

1. What is photon manipulation?

Photon manipulation is the ability to control and manipulate the movement and properties of photons, which are particles of light. This can include redirecting their trajectory and teleporting them to a different location.

2. Is photon manipulation possible?

Yes, photon manipulation is possible through various techniques such as using electromagnetic fields, quantum entanglement, and special materials like metamaterials. However, it is still a developing field of research and has not been fully achieved on a large scale.

3. How could photon manipulation be useful?

Photon manipulation has potential applications in various fields, including telecommunications, quantum computing, and solar energy. It could also potentially lead to faster and more efficient data transfer and communication systems.

4. Can we redirect photons to create an invisibility cloak?

While there have been some advancements in redirecting light to create the illusion of invisibility, a true invisibility cloak is not yet possible with current technology. However, photon manipulation does play a key role in the development of such technology.

5. Is teleportation of photons the same as teleportation of matter?

No, teleportation of photons is not the same as teleportation of matter. Teleportation of matter involves transferring the exact physical state of an object from one location to another, whereas teleportation of photons only involves the transfer of information about their quantum state.