Photon propagation? Is this correct?

In summary: The photon occupies all of space between being produced and absorbed. It doesn't behave as if following a 'path'.
revv
Ok so I drew up something (I know its horrible), but is this correct?

Does the black line in the middle represent the propagation of the photon?

If this is correct I would like to know and anything else that could help me or just anything related to this.

63twX4m.png

Attachments

• 63twX4m.png
    63twX4m.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 755
Science news on Phys.org
revv said:
This model just doesn't work. A photon is not like a little bullet and any useful model of it has to include all of its behaviour.
The photon occupies all of space between being produced and absorbed. It doesn't behave as if following a 'path'. If you look at the two slits experiment (the simplest you can consider, there is a 'contribution' of the photon's energy that goes through both slits. That is demonstrated by the fact that both slits are needed for the interference pattern to form.
The 'wiggly line' that you drew describes a different aspect of EM energy.

Likes Lord Jestocost
sophiecentaur said:
This model just doesn't work. A photon is not like a little bullet and any useful model of it has to include all of its behaviour.

By behaviors do you mean a particle or wave?

And the "wiggly lines" are electric and magnetic (fields?)

The wiggly lines do represent the electric and magnetic fields. I think what sophiecentaur is trying to say is that a simple model just displaying the photon as a bullet doesn't usually give an accurate model of a photon since photos behave quite diffirently a lot of the time.

revv said:
One should never think of a light beam as stream of traveling particles across space. Quantization of electromagnetic radiation means that the field energy can only be changed by integer numbers of „energy portions“ (called photons) of amount hν, where ν is light frequency and h Planck's constant.

revv said:
And the "wiggly lines" are electric and magnetic (fields?)

You drew them. You tell us.:wink:

Seriously, a vague sketch with no description behind it forces us to guess when you mean.

Likes Klystron

Attachments

• Electromagnetic_waves.png
    Electromagnetic_waves.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 535
Likes DennisN, Klystron and PeroK
The diagrams that have been quoted are not descriptions of a photon, remember. They just describe the variation with time and distance of the Fields in the direction of propagation of a plane wave. There are no wiggly photons or bullets involved in either of them.
I have to blame the people who 'know' advanced Physics and who write educational books and articles about photons and who assume that people receive the right message when the word "particle" is used.

Likes davenn

Related to Photon propagation? Is this correct?

1. What is photon propagation?

Photon propagation refers to the movement or transmission of photons, which are particles of light. Photons can travel through a variety of mediums, including air, water, and vacuum, and can also be absorbed or scattered by different materials.

2. How do photons propagate?

Photons propagate through space in a straight line at the speed of light. They can also exhibit wave-like behavior, such as interference and diffraction, which allows them to travel through different mediums and around obstacles.

3. What factors affect photon propagation?

The speed and direction of photon propagation can be affected by the medium it is traveling through, as well as its wavelength and energy. Other factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also impact photon propagation.

4. Can photons travel through a vacuum?

Yes, photons can travel through a vacuum, which is an area with no particles or matter. In fact, photons can travel through a vacuum at the fastest possible speed, which is the speed of light.

5. How is photon propagation related to light and electromagnetic radiation?

Photon propagation is the process by which light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation travel through space. Photons are the fundamental particles that make up electromagnetic radiation, and their propagation is responsible for the transmission of light and other forms of energy.