Photon size and classical fields

In summary: In those cases the "particle" nature of photons is essential. However, in many problems the photons are not plane waves and their behavior is more complicated. There is no reason to treat them as particles when their wave properties are more important.
phyzguy
Science Advisor
<<Moderator note: Split from thread Photon the smallest particle>>

@Orodruin - Let me ask a question. This is an aspect of QFT that has always puzzled me. Suppose we have an RF cavity or a laser cavity with a standing E-M wave. I understand that we can view the field in the cavity as a macroscopic number photons in the same quantum state. In this case, why do we say that the photons making up the field have zero spatial extent? How can a macroscopic number of photons with zero spatial extent add up to a measurable E-M field which fills the cavity? Is there a way of thinking of this that I am missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
phyzguy said:
@Orodruin - Let me ask a question. This is an aspect of QFT that has always puzzled me. Suppose we have an RF cavity or a laser cavity with a standing E-M wave. I understand that we can view the field in the cavity as a macroscopic number photons in the same quantum state. In this case, why do we say that the photons making up the field have zero spatial extent? How can a macroscopic number of photons with zero spatial extent add up to a measurable E-M field which fills the cavity? Is there a way of thinking of this that I am missing?
First, a coherent state is not made out of a macroscopic number of photons. It is made out of an indefinite number of photons, but for a classical field the expectation value is rather high.

That you have a classical field does not mean that you spread your photons out over some region of space. That a particle has zero size does not mean it is localized. If you look at an electron, its wave function is not completely localized. In the coherent state, nothing is saying that there are places where "there are no photons".

Sorry, but this didn't help much. Let me ask some specific questions:

(1) Are you saying that it is not true that a classical E-M field in a laser cavity is not made up of a macroscopic number of photons in the same quantum state?

(2) If a photon is an excitation of the E-M field, and the E-M field has a definite spatial extent, what does it mean to say that the photon has zero spatial extent?

(3) Along the same lines, you say, "That a particle has zero size does not mean it is localized." What does that statement mean? If it doesn't mean that the particle is localized, what does it mean?

I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to understand what these statements mean.

phyzguy said:
(1) Are you saying that it is not true that a classical E-M field in a laser cavity is not made up of a macroscopic number of photons in the same quantum state?
All it means it that a coherent state (which is the only state that re-assembles a "classical" field) does not have a fixed number of photons. Only number (Fock) states have a fixed number of photons

(2) If a photon is an excitation of the E-M field, and the E-M field has a definite spatial extent, what does it mean to say that the photon has zero spatial extent?
Photons do not have a "size" in the usual meaning of the word, but they certainly have an extent. It is often meaningful to talk about the shape of a photon, just as we we talk about different modes in classical E-M. You can even encode information by using photons of different shapes (as long as the modes are orthogonal)

(3) Along the same lines, you say, "That a particle has zero size does not mean it is localized." What does that statement mean? If it doesn't mean that the particle is localized, what does it mean?
This is really no different than electrons. They also have zero size (they are point particles) but we can still move them around one at a time or even trap them in well defined locations OR they can be de-localized as is frequently the case in solids. The physical size (or lack thereof) is not really relevant here.

[/quote]

Photons are simply integral energy increments in the classical field modes however they happen to be chosen. If you write the field in terms of cavity modes each mode will have a frequency ##\omega_n## and the corresponding photons energy, ##\hbar \omega_n## when quantized. The "particle" nature of photons is a useful picture when the classical modes used are taken as plane waves. Plane waves are useful (but not required) for boundary free problems which is the often case in the analysis of scattering problems.

1. What is the size of a photon?

A photon is an elementary particle that has no size or volume. It is considered a point particle, meaning it has no spatial extent and is essentially a mathematical point in space.

2. How is the size of a photon related to its wavelength?

The size of a photon cannot be directly related to its wavelength, as it has no physical size. However, the wavelength of a photon is inversely proportional to its energy, which is directly related to its size through Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

3. Can a photon be described as a classical field?

Yes, photons can be described as classical fields in certain situations, such as when they are in large numbers or when their wavelengths are much larger than the size of the particles they are interacting with. In these cases, the quantum nature of photons becomes less significant and they can be treated as classical electromagnetic waves.

4. How do classical fields interact with matter?

Classical fields, such as electromagnetic fields, interact with matter through the exchange of photons. When an electrically charged particle, such as an electron, moves through a classical field, it will interact with the field by either absorbing or emitting photons. This interaction is responsible for many observable phenomena, such as light absorption and reflection.

5. Can classical fields be described by quantum mechanics?

Yes, classical fields can be described by quantum mechanics, as the behavior of classical fields can be understood as the collective behavior of a large number of photons. In quantum mechanics, particles are described by wavefunctions, which can also describe the behavior of classical fields. However, classical fields are typically described by classical electrodynamics, which is a classical theory that does not take into account the quantum nature of particles.