Physical Chemistry by Peter Atkins

In summary, "Physical Chemistry" by Peter Atkins is a comprehensive book that covers topics such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and their applications. However, it has undergone several revisions and may not be suitable for those who prefer a more rigorous approach. The book also includes many biochemical examples, which is a unique aspect. Some users may prefer other books such as "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by McQuarrie or "Physical Chemistry" by W. Moore. It is noted that Pchem should possibly be split into four separate classes for a more effective teaching approach.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as P chem books go this one is ok but I generally find p chem books bad. It's as if someone decided to teach thermodynamics, stat mech, classical mechanics, e&m and applications in one physics book. Crazy right?

Professor Atkins is the author of the moment in physical chemistry and he has produced some cracking chemistry books in the past.

However users of this one should be aware that it has undergone several major revisions so should be careful which edition they refer to.

Many of the examples are biochemical, which is unusual in a physical chemistry book, but in keeping with the modern advances in biochemistry and very welcome.

On balance, I prefer the previous generation book from Oxford by Moelwyn-Hughes or the one by W Moore, both of which I would give outstanding to.

This I would only rate as good.

I much prefer Walter J. Moores, Physical Chemistry over Atkins.
The reasoning in Atkins is not very clear and sometimes circular: E.g. he starts to motivate absolute temperature using the ideal gas law and promises to give a precise definition of absolute temperature later. Then he introduces entropy as ##S=\vardelta Q/T## for reversible processes and finally sais that now we can define temperature as ##T=\partial U/\partial S##.

Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach by McQuarrie is better.

I did not like Atkin's book, just the overall feeling was bad. Many things were not explained rigorously especially in the QM section.

In addition I also believe that Pchem should be split into 4 classes: 2 in quantum chemistry (QM + spectroscopy) and 2 in thermal science (thermodynamics + stat mech). Trying to teach these disparate subjects in 1 book is not going to go well.

1. What is the main focus of "Physical Chemistry by Peter Atkins"?

The main focus of "Physical Chemistry by Peter Atkins" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and theories of physical chemistry. It covers a wide range of topics including thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in chemistry?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners in chemistry as it starts with basic concepts and gradually progresses to more advanced topics. It also includes clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help readers grasp the concepts easily.

3. What makes "Physical Chemistry by Peter Atkins" different from other textbooks?

This textbook stands out for its clear and concise writing style, extensive use of diagrams and illustrations, and its focus on connecting theoretical concepts to real-world applications. It also includes a variety of practice problems and end-of-chapter exercises to deepen understanding.

4. Are there any resources available to supplement this textbook?

Yes, there are several resources available to supplement this textbook, including a solutions manual, study guide, and online resources such as animations, interactive simulations, and practice quizzes.

5. Who would benefit most from using "Physical Chemistry by Peter Atkins"?

This textbook would benefit undergraduate and graduate students studying physical chemistry, as well as researchers and professionals in the field. It is also a valuable resource for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the physical principles that govern chemical reactions and processes.