Physical Chemistry Problem, Evacuated tube - where does reaction take place?

In summary, the experiment involves placing two balls, one soaked in concentrated HCl and the other in NH4OH, at opposite ends of a 1m long evacuated glass tube. As the HCl and ammonia vaporize and travel down the tube, they react to form a white ring where they meet. The speed of the gas molecules is ~500m/s and the preparation of the experiment may take longer than the 2ms it takes for the molecules to travel through the tube in vacuum. One of the gases may evaporate quicker and shift the reaction area towards the other side.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

Two balls, one soaked in concentrated HCl and the other in NH4OH are placed at the left and right ends of a 1m long evacuated glass tube, respectively. HCl and ammonia vaporize and travel down the tube, reacting to form a white ring where they meet. Where does the ring form?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do with this. At first I thought it dealt with diffusion but I couldn't get anything useful (unless I'm overlooking something). Then I realized the tube is empty, so can I just use the average speed o the gas molecules and see where the gasses meet or will that not work? Speed is not a vector though, so do I have to find the velocity of the net movement of the gases towards each other? If so how would I calculate that?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of the molecules is somewhere at ~500m/s, which means that they need ~2ms to travel through the pipe in vacuum. The preparation of your experiment will need much more time.
One of the gases might evaporate quicker (and therefore in a larger amount), and shift the reaction area towards the other side. That is just a guess, however.

1. What is an evacuated tube and why is it used in physical chemistry?

An evacuated tube is a sealed glass tube that has been emptied of all air and gases. It is used in physical chemistry because it allows for the study of chemical reactions in a controlled environment, free from interference from air and other substances.

2. How does an evacuated tube work in a chemical reaction?

In an evacuated tube, the reaction takes place within the sealed environment of the tube. This allows for precise control of temperature, pressure, and other factors that can affect the reaction. The reactants are typically introduced into the tube, and then the tube is sealed before the reaction begins.

3. What types of reactions can be studied in an evacuated tube?

An evacuated tube can be used to study a wide range of chemical reactions, including gas-phase reactions, solid-state reactions, and liquid-phase reactions. It is especially useful for studying reactions that are sensitive to air or other external factors.

4. How is the pressure inside an evacuated tube controlled?

The pressure inside an evacuated tube is typically controlled by using a vacuum pump to remove any remaining air or gases from the tube. The pressure can also be adjusted by adding or removing gases through a separate valve on the tube.

5. Are there any limitations to using an evacuated tube in physical chemistry?

While an evacuated tube is a useful tool in physical chemistry, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for studying reactions that require a specific atmosphere or those that involve highly reactive substances. Additionally, the tube itself may introduce some experimental error due to the presence of residual gases or impurities.