Physical meaning of thermal conductivity tensor

In summary, thermal conductivity has a form of second-rank tensor where the diagonal components represent normal stress and the off-diagonal components represent shear stress. Similarly, the off-diagonal components of the thermal conductivity tensor also have a special physical meaning, with kxy representing the heat flux in the x direction due to a temperature gradient in the y direction. This applies to kyx as well, although it can be difficult to remember which is which. As an example, imagine how heat would flow in a carbon-fibre composite where the fibres are at an angle to the y axis.
Hansol
Good afternoon everyone!

I've learned that thermal conductivity has a form of second-rank tensor. As you know, diagonal components of stress tensor mean normal stress and other components mean shear stress and like that do off-diagonal components of thermal conductivity tensor have some special physical meaning??

I think thermal conduction only considers 'direction' so I think k_xy, k_xz have to have same value with k_y and k_z
Is it right??

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
kxy means the heat flux in the x direction due to a temperature gradient in the y direction. (Or is that kyx? I can never remember. But hopefully you get the point.)
Think, for example, how heat would flow in a carbon-fibre composite where the fibres are at an angle to the y axis.

Likes Chestermiller
mjc123 said:
kxy means the heat flux in the x direction due to a temperature gradient in the y direction. (Or is that kyx? I can never remember. But hopefully you get the point.)
Think, for example, how heat would flow in a carbon-fibre composite where the fibres are at an angle to the y axis.
Oh... I understand your clear explanation! Thank you for answering me :)

What is thermal conductivity tensor?

The thermal conductivity tensor is a mathematical representation of the thermal conductivity of a material. It describes how heat is transferred through a material in different directions.

How is the thermal conductivity tensor measured?

The thermal conductivity tensor can be measured experimentally using techniques such as the transient hot-wire method or the laser flash method. It can also be calculated theoretically using equations based on the material's physical properties.

What is the physical meaning of the components of the thermal conductivity tensor?

The three components of the thermal conductivity tensor represent the thermal conductivity in the x, y, and z directions, respectively. They indicate how easily heat can be transferred in each direction, with higher values indicating better heat conduction.

How does the thermal conductivity tensor relate to anisotropy?

The thermal conductivity tensor is an important tool for understanding anisotropic materials, which have different properties in different directions. Anisotropic materials have different thermal conductivities in different directions, and the thermal conductivity tensor captures this anisotropy.

Why is the thermal conductivity tensor important in materials science?

The thermal conductivity tensor is important in materials science because it helps us understand how heat is transferred through different materials. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing materials for various applications, such as in building insulation or electronic devices.