Physics behind Predator's Shoulder Cannon

In summary, the OP is a fan of the Predator movies and is interested in the technology used in these movies, specifically the shoulder-mounted cannon that fires plasma bolts. He notes that all this technology is either in use today or in the lab/miniaturization stages, but asks about any discussions about the technology and why we could not create this today. His comments are followed by a discussion of the existing technology that exists for weaponized plasma, which is not similar to what the OP is talking about. Finally, there is a discussion of a possible alternative technology for weaponized plasma that uses a liquid metallic projectile shot at electromagnetic velocities.
infinitebubble
Avid fan of the Predator series of movies and the technology of the weapons of choice for the predator characters. Of interest is the shoulder mounted cannon that fires plasma bolts directed by their laser tracking device. All this technology is either in use today or in the lab/miniaturization stages.

Any discussions about the technology and why we could not create this today?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you're asking about why weapons aren't shoulder mounted and automated, as opposed to the SciFi concept of a plasma gun? Mounted weapons that follow the operator's vision exist already, albeit not at an infantry level:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_AH-64_Apache#Avionics_and_targeting

Reasons why such a system hasn't been developed probably include a low return on investment. I'm not sure the advantage would be that much greater than regular training in marksmanship. In addition disadvantages would include the huge cost, extra complexity (and therefore potential failure modes) and reduction in mobility from having some sort of heavy backpack (with batteries, computer, auto-loader etc) and waldo arm.

jedishrfu said:
This is not similar to what the OP is talking about. This weapon is plasma-powered, i.e. it uses plasma to propel regular projectiles. The SF version fires 'plasma bolts'.
The closest to a real world example I could find after admittedly cursory googling is this project:
https://inis.iaea.org/search/searchsinglerecord.aspx?recordsFor=SingleRecord&RN=22057516
https://www.osti.gov/scitech/biblio/7369133#
Which as far as I can see accelerated compact plasma projectiles. But resources on the state of the project are limited (and inundated in conspiratorial fluff). Calling it an existing technology is probably not justified.
Furthermore, there's always the issue of maintaining cohesion of the plasma outside the confining environment. What good is accelerating some plasma if it'll dissipate moments after exiting your gun?

But then again, I know next to nothing about plasma physics. Maybe dissipation time frame can be long enough for a sufficiently fast moving projectile to deliver some energy to a reasonably distant target? Maybe it can't work at all outside vacuum? Maybe it's all as good as bunkum.

Ryan_m_b said:
and waldo arm
Perhaps if it was mounted on a reciprocating dingle arm instead...:wink:

Likes russ_watters
Excellent replies... I was looking more at these type of technology only created such to be wearable's much like the Predators plasma cannon. Sure the largest drawback will be the power density to create the Joules needed to make the plasma viable to reach it's target. Understand the plasma pulse will dissipate quite rapidly but this is the premise... how do we make this plasma last till it hits the target? I'm thinking having the plasma field surrounding a 'liquid metallic projectile' which would be shot at electromagnetic velocities? See what the military DARPA unit is creating below:

http://www.military.com/video/off-duty/tech/new-progress-on-plasma-weapons/2324951333001

Last edited:

What is the physics behind Predator's Shoulder Cannon?

The shoulder cannon used by the Predator in the movie franchise is a fictional weapon that has not been scientifically studied. Therefore, the physics behind it are purely speculative and not based on real-life principles.

How does the shoulder cannon fire without recoil?

The shoulder cannon in the movies appears to fire without any noticeable recoil. This could be explained by the use of advanced technology that counteracts the recoil force, or by the weapon being mounted on the Predator's shoulder, thus minimizing the effect of recoil.

Is the shoulder cannon powered by energy or ammunition?

Again, since the shoulder cannon is a fictional weapon, its power source is not clearly defined. It could be powered by energy such as plasma or laser, or it could use ammunition that is not visible in the movies.

How does the shoulder cannon have such precise targeting abilities?

The Predator's shoulder cannon is shown to have incredibly accurate targeting abilities, even being able to track and hit moving targets. This could be explained by advanced tracking technology, or by the Predator's enhanced senses and abilities.

Could a real-life shoulder cannon exist?

While there are currently no known weapons that function exactly like the shoulder cannon in the movies, it is possible that with advancements in technology, a similar type of weapon could be developed in the future. However, it would likely not function exactly like the one seen in the movies due to the limitations of real-world physics.