Physics Degree and the Air Force?

In summary, the individual is an undergraduate student with a double major in physics and mathematics, who is considering joining the Air Force after graduation due to the opportunities for STEM degree holders. They are interested in being challenged and being part of something larger than themselves. They have looked into the Navy Nuke program but do not want to be confined to a submarine. They have a summer internship at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and experience in high energy physics research and programming. They are aware of the competitive nature of Air Force OTS and are willing to compromise on their career path. They are seeking more information on different careers in the Air Force and have been recommended to check out serviceacademyforums.com for perspectives from actual officers in different AFSCs.
McLovin123
Currently I am an undergraduate physics and mathematics double major. I am looking into the air force after graduation because I heard there are a lot of opportunities for people with STEM degrees but I have no idea what kind of opportunities are available for my degree paths. Joining the Air Force has a lot of appeal for me because I want to be challenged and be a part of something larger than myself. I realized before my junior year that this might be what I want to do which is why I didn't do AFROTC or anything like that.

I have looked into the navy nuke program and I don't really want to be crammed into a submarine. My interests mainly involve applied research but I am willing to compromise. I understand that the needs of the air force come before my own and that nobody can really pin point what opportunities will be available at a given point since they're always changing.

Before I apply to OTS my GPA will be above a 3.4 and I will graduate with honors. I have a summer internship at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory developing electronic propulsion technology, I've worked for two different high energy physics research groups and have volunteer/ leadership experience (clean academic and legal record, US citizen, nothing that disqualifies me). Plus tons of programming experience.

I heard that it is hard to be selected as a 61D (physicist/ nuclear engineer) from what I've head. Would my GPA too low? Is there anyone that can give me insight as to what may lie ahead. I just want to have some idea before I go all in.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Physics news on Phys.org
A few notes:

1. Navy Nuke program also has career paths outside of being on a sub or aircraft carrier. A friend of mine did emergency planning for nuclear spillage for the Navy.
2. OTS is a mix bag. Like most direct commission programs, your choice is literally the least important thing to the service.
3. Out of all the services, Air Force OTS (and perhaps Marine OCS) are among the hardest to get into. I''m not sure how much research you have done, but it's typically a year long process and often times people do not succeed their first time. With that said, you're more than likely a pretty solid middle of the road candidate.
4. Be aware that you probably won't be in a research role once selected. If you are going to do OTS, you have to be pretty ok with the idea of signing up for x number of years being a Admin officer or supply officer. It's a possibility and one that you must accept. As you said, the Air Force needs will always be more important than yours.
5. Lastly this is probably a good administration to attempt this route. If Trump is able to increase the size of the forces, there is going to be a need for more officers, so naturally selection might become easier. The economy is generally good, so the competition won't be as bad as it was during the great recession.

Likes Dr. Courtney
You might want to check out serviceacademyforums.com. It's SA focused obviously, but they have an OTS/OCS forum as well. I know there's at least one active 61D on the site, so if you search around a bit you might be able to find some good info. Good luck!

Thank you for your insight. I am currently doing more research on different careers in the air force and I came across a few other interesting careers (flight test engineer, network operations officer) that also seem interesting.

aerohead_18 said:
You might want to check out serviceacademyforums.com. It's SA focused obviously, but they have an OTS/OCS forum as well. I know there's at least one active 61D on the site, so if you search around a bit you might be able to find some good info. Good luck!

I looked at the sight ad its mostly comprised of people trying to apply to the academies. Do you know any other place where I can get some better insight (besides the AF website) ?

Sorry, I don't know of any other good resources off the top of my head. It's possible you could find some useful stuff on baseops.net, but I think that tends to be more aviation focused.

McLovin123 said:
I have looked into the navy nuke program and I don't really want to be crammed into a submarine.

That isn't you only option. You can be crammed into an aircraft carrier. :smile:

MarneMath said:
your choice is literally the least important thing to the service.

This. Read this again. And again. Don't expect the service's decisions to consider your opinions, or for that matter for the decisions even to make sense.

makes sense. I feel like I can gain a lot from being an officer and I'll obviously go wherever they end up putting me. I think I have a rough idea but ill just have to see where the process takes me.

1. What is a Physics degree and how does it relate to the Air Force?

A Physics degree is an undergraduate or graduate level degree in the field of physics, which is the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. The Air Force utilizes physics principles in a variety of areas, such as aircraft design, missile guidance systems, and space operations.

2. Can a Physics degree help me get into the Air Force?

Having a Physics degree can make you a competitive candidate for certain positions in the Air Force, particularly in technical and scientific fields. However, it is not a requirement for joining the Air Force and there are many other factors that are considered during the recruitment process.

3. Are there specific roles in the Air Force that require a Physics degree?

Yes, there are certain roles in the Air Force that specifically require a Physics degree, such as aeronautical engineer, nuclear physicist, and space operations officer. These roles involve using advanced physics principles to develop and improve military technology and operations.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a Physics degree in the Air Force?

Pursuing a Physics degree in the Air Force can provide a unique and challenging career path, with opportunities to work on cutting-edge technology and research projects. Additionally, the Air Force offers educational benefits, such as tuition assistance and scholarship programs, for those pursuing a degree in a scientific field.

5. How can a Physics degree help me in my career in the Air Force?

A Physics degree can provide a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and technical skills, which are highly valued in the Air Force. It can also open up opportunities for advanced training and career advancement in specialized fields such as aerospace, missile defense, and space operations.