Physics Graduate planning to do research in photonics

Aramaan
Hey, I was just contemplating career opportunities after my Undergrad. I am slightly interested in theoretical physics but I can't imagine doing it the rest of my life. My main interests are nano-photonics and quantum technologies and I am planning to do research in these fields. I am not seeking job right now but am open to the idea.

I am studying in the top science university in India and I would like to know how good are opportunities for me in these fields. But the thing is I would prefer to come back to India after my higher studies as a professor or a scientist. I would very much like your opinions on this. It would be really helpful.

Note: I can very easily get a data\software engineer job in India with high salary and my parents won't agree to move abroad if I chose to pursue job after my PHD. I would just like to ask you whether it is worth it to pursue this career path?

Physics news on Phys.org
OP: I found your post confusing. It's not clear what your plan is. From what I could gather:

* You are currently a physics undergrad in India. If so, what year are you in, and when do you plan to graduate?

* You are considering working after you complete your undergrad. In India? In another country (if so, which ones)? In a university? In industry?

* At some point you then want to complete a PhD outside of India. But then you plan to return to India.

* Somehow your decision affects whether your parents relocate. Not sure how this affects your plans.

Please confirm or correct.

I want to do post graduation outside india and return back to india. That's the preference. I can choose to find a job in photonics/quantum tech if needs be but it will not go very well with my parents In India. I cannot do photonics job in India since the pay is very less.

In the US, a bachelor's in physics will qualify you only for a position as a research assistant or laboratory technician or (in some instances) junior manufacturing or production engineer; not as a lead researcher. But it's not likely that a company here would be willing to cover the expenses and effort to sponsor a work visa for you (undergrad degree only, no work experience, don't plan to work too long). I don't know about opportunities in other countries.

The foreign students I've dealt with typically come to the US for their PhD, with the intention of staying in the US afterwards. It's an easier path to get a student visa to study in the US, and then transition to employment in the US upon completion of your degree here. But since you plan to return to India, that doesn't apply to you.

Aramaan said:
I want to do post graduation outside india and return back to india. That's the preference. I can choose to find a job in photonics/quantum tech if needs be but it will not go very well with my parents In India. I cannot do photonics job in India since the pay is very less.
So you want to do a PhD abroad and possibly a post-doc and then return to India to work in Academia as a professor or researcher? It's going to be hard to advise as I know nothing about the state of the academic job market in India. In many western countries however they are very hard positions to land.

Last edited:
Another thing you need to take into consideration is if you're going to be expected to provide financial support to your parents, and if so, when. While PhDs typically come with funding, it's not a lot. At most it will be enough to cover your own costs (and maybe not even that depending on the cost of living of where the program you attend is located). Also post-docs aren't particularly well renumerated either, especially in North America. From a financial perspective Europe may be a better option.