Physics graduates that take teaching jobs, and later move on....

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of physics teachers leaving the profession in the UK due to low income and the skills needed for those who pursue other careers after teaching. Various individuals share their personal experiences of leaving teaching for other fields such as actuarial work and engineering. The conversation also touches on the challenges of being a science teacher rather than a specific physics teacher, and the impact of workload on teachers.
physion
Hi all! It's my first message. I am Nice to meet you! I would like your thoughts about the fact that many physics teachers leave profession during the first 5 years of teaching in UK mostly due to low income. What kind of jobs do you believe those physics graduates (who started their career in teaching) will pursue after leaving teaching and what skills are needed ? Is there anyone here , that left teaching for something else? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in the US. I taught for one semester between Masters and my career change - I thought I would teach for more, but got very lucky with a quick job offer. I think this meets the requirements you mention, but barely.

I switched from teaching into actuarial work. Since I'm in the US, the process of becoming an actuary is different than it is for you in the UK. However, I think it may still be a path of interest. After 7 years in actuarial work I switched to decision science.

I am a (retired) engineering Professor in the US. I have switched back and forth between industry, consulting, and teaching quite a few times. It is not a very good way to get to the top (although was a full prof with tenure), but it has been fun and very, very interesting. I'm quite sure that I am a much better teacher after the industrial experience than I was before. Every new industrial experience gave me quite a few new insights (I was never in the same industry twice), and I bring all of that to the classroom.

Likes berkeman, CalcNerd and Dr. Courtney
Thanks a lot for the replies.

For what it's worth, the pay is only low if you live in the South where everything is expensive. Up North I live like a king.

It's not really the money that drives people out of physics teaching. It's the workload and not getting to do that much physics teaching. Stick around long enough and you'll develop some discretion about what is worth spending time on. Younger staff don't have the experience to do that and they are easier to push around. As a result they get worked half to death and then quit.

MalachiK said:
For what it's worth, the pay is only low if you live in the South where everything is expensive. Up North I live like a king.

It's not really the money that drives people out of physics teaching. It's the workload and not getting to do that much physics teaching. Stick around long enough and you'll develop some discretion about what is worth spending time on. Younger staff don't have the experience to do that and they are easier to push around. As a result they get worked half to death and then quit.
If one wants to teach and has some degree in Physics, understand that Physics might not be most of what the schools will want you to teach. You will be a SCIENCE teacher, maybe "general" or "physical" science teacher -- NOT a Physics teacher specifically. Later, if you are trying to find a job in industry after only teaching, the prospective employers may misunderstand your knowledge and skills initially toward favorability until they are informed rightly, or judge against you for not having relevant industry experience.

What are the career opportunities for physics graduates who take teaching jobs?

Physics graduates who take teaching jobs have several career opportunities available to them. They can continue teaching and move up to higher levels of education, such as becoming a professor at a university. They can also pursue careers in research, engineering, or other fields that require a strong background in physics.

What skills do physics graduates gain from teaching that are valuable in other industries?

Teaching requires strong communication, organization, and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many industries. Physics graduates who take teaching jobs also gain experience in curriculum development and lesson planning, which can be useful in roles that involve training or education.

Why do some physics graduates leave teaching jobs to pursue other careers?

Some physics graduates may leave teaching jobs because they have found other career opportunities that align better with their interests or goals. Others may feel burnt out from the demands of teaching or may want to explore different industries and opportunities.

How can physics graduates transition from teaching to other careers?

Physics graduates can transition from teaching to other careers by leveraging the skills and knowledge they gained through teaching. They can highlight their communication, problem-solving, and teaching abilities on their resume and network with professionals in industries they are interested in.

What advice do you have for physics graduates considering a teaching job?

My advice for physics graduates considering a teaching job is to carefully consider their career goals and interests. Teaching can be a rewarding and fulfilling career, but it may not be the best fit for everyone. It is also important to gain experience in other areas, such as research or internships, to keep your options open and to gain a well-rounded skill set.