Physics Lab / Equation manipulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula T^2 = (4 pi^2 m)/k * d^2 + (4 pi^2 I)/k to analyze the oscillation of a meter rule. The values of k and I can be found by determining the slope (m) and y-intercept (c) from a graph of T^2 vs d^2. However, there is some confusion about the use of 'm' in the formula, as it serves two different roles. One is the mass of something that was measured, while the other is the slope of the data. Knowing the mass is necessary to determine the values of k and I.
Greg3Dot
1. T^2 = (4 pi^2 m)/k * d^2 + (4 pi^2 I)/k
y = m * x + c
Information
(4 pi^2 m)/k = m (gradient)
(4 pi^2 I)/k = c (the y intercept )
A graph of T^2 vs d^2 was plotted.
(^2) means squared
Find constants k and I
How is this done since the m in the formula is unknown ?
"Oscillation of a metre rule" is the the tiltle of the lab

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg3Dot said:
1. T^2 = (4 pi^2 m)/k * d^2 + (4 pi^2 I)/k
y = m * x + c
Information
(4 pi^2 m)/k = m (gradient)
(4 pi^2 I)/k = c (the y intercept )
A graph of T^2 vs d^2 was plotted.
(^2) means squared
Find constants k and I
How is this done since the m in the formula is unknown ?
"Oscillation of a metre rule" is the the title of the lab
It looks like you have 'm' serving two different roles.

The 'm' I highlighted in red above appears to be the mass of something. Presumably you measured it.

The other m, should be the slope (gradient) of the data you graphed, which hopefully fell along some line. This m together with c, should allow you to determine I and k, but you will need to know m .

Likes Greg3Dot
SammyS said:
It looks like you have 'm' serving two different roles.

The 'm' I highlighted in red above appears to be the mass of something. Presumably you measured it.

The other m, should be the slope (gradient) of the data you graphed, which hopefully fell along some line. This m together with c, should allow you to determine I and k, but you will need to know m .[/Q
Thanks a lot , there was a mass that was measured.

1. What is the purpose of a physics lab?

A physics lab is used to conduct experiments and gather data to test and verify physical laws and theories. It allows scientists to observe and measure the behavior of different physical phenomena in a controlled environment.

2. How do you manipulate equations in a physics lab?

In a physics lab, equations can be manipulated by using algebraic methods, such as rearranging terms, combining like terms, and applying mathematical operations, to solve for a specific variable or to simplify the equation for easier analysis.

3. What are the common types of equations used in a physics lab?

The most common types of equations used in a physics lab are mathematical equations that represent physical laws and relationships, such as Newton's laws of motion, Ohm's law, and the laws of thermodynamics. These equations often involve variables such as force, mass, velocity, and energy.

4. How do you ensure accuracy when manipulating equations in a physics lab?

To ensure accuracy when manipulating equations in a physics lab, it is important to carefully record and analyze the data collected from experiments. Any errors or uncertainties in the data should be noted and taken into account when manipulating equations. Additionally, double-checking calculations and using multiple methods to solve equations can help to verify the accuracy of the results.

5. What are some tips for effectively manipulating equations in a physics lab?

Some tips for effectively manipulating equations in a physics lab include understanding the underlying principles and concepts behind the equations, being familiar with algebraic operations and techniques, keeping track of units and conversions, and using technology, such as calculators or computer software, to assist with complex calculations.