Physics PhD from 2001 onwards: What are you doing now?

In summary, the conversation discussed the various career paths that individuals with a Physics PhD can pursue. These include academia, industry, government, and teaching. The focus was on recent graduates from the 21st century, with specific examples being a Senior Medical Physicist at a cancer center and a Senior Research Scientist at a national lab working on solid state quantum information processing.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! One of the perennial topics that show up on PF is what one can do with a physics PhD. So I thought this may be an opportunity to ask those PF members who have completed their physics PhD from 2001 and afterwards, to tell us a little about what they do for a living.

A brief description is fine -- you don't need to reveal the name of the organization(s) you work with, just what type of work you do. Any experiences are welcome -- academia, industry, government, teaching, etc.

Now you may ask -- why 2001 and afterwards? Because I wanted to know about what relatively recent graduates of physics PhD programs (in particular, those who received their physics PhDs in the 21st century) experienced. These recent experiences would be more relevant for current physics students now than experiences of those who, say, completed their doctorates in the 1970s, 1980s or 1990s.

Likes Thejas15101998
Physics news on Phys.org
I received a Physics PhD in 2005 with specialization in Medical Physics.

I am currently a Senior Medical Physicist at a community cancer centre and I have an adjunct academic appointment at a nearby university with a CAMPEP accredited Medical Physics graduate program. I was just promoted to adjunct associate professor!

Likes russ_watters and StatGuy2000
PhD in experimental physics in 2005. I work at one of the national labs in the UK as a Senior Research Scientist.
I mainly work on topics related to solid state quantum information processing (superconducting qubits etc).

Choppy: Congratulations:partytime:

Likes Choppy
Choppy said:
I received a Physics PhD in 2005 with specialization in Medical Physics.

I am currently a Senior Medical Physicist at a community cancer centre and I have an adjunct academic appointment at a nearby university with a CAMPEP accredited Medical Physics graduate program. I was just promoted to adjunct associate professor!

Congratulations!:thumbup::partytime:

Likes Choppy

1. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Physics PhD from 2001 onwards?

There are a variety of career paths that someone with a Physics PhD from 2001 onwards can pursue. Some common options include research positions in academia or industry, teaching at the university level, working in government or private research labs, and consulting in areas such as engineering or finance.

2. How has the field of physics changed since you earned your PhD in 2001?

The field of physics has seen significant advancements and developments since 2001. Some notable changes include the discovery of the Higgs boson, advancements in quantum computing and materials, and increased applications of physics in fields such as biology and medicine.

3. How has your research or work in physics contributed to society?

My research and work in physics has contributed to society in various ways. For example, my research may have helped advance our understanding of a particular phenomenon, developed new technologies, or contributed to the development of new products or processes that benefit society.

4. What skills and knowledge did you gain from your Physics PhD that have been useful in your current work?

Earning a Physics PhD requires a wide range of skills and knowledge, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. These skills have been invaluable in my current work, where I continue to use them in a variety of tasks, from conducting experiments to presenting research findings to my colleagues.

5. How do you continue to stay updated and engaged in the field of physics?

Staying updated and engaged in the field of physics is essential for anyone with a PhD. Some ways I do this include attending conferences and seminars, reading scientific papers and journals, and collaborating with other researchers. I also make use of online resources and participate in professional organizations to stay connected with the latest developments in the field.